PDA

View Full Version : Onboard Welders?

gimpyhauler
01-11-2012, 16:57
I searched and found little on the subject of under hood welders. I'm building a ranch truck and prefer an onboard welder to handle my welding needs around my property.

They start at 160 amps and go up to 1200 amps. Most common are the 160 and 200. I can't weld worth a nickel on an AC system but a DC welder I can almost weld with the best of em. I know Premier has been around since they were walking up mountains for news. But their's also a much lesser known and less expensive alternative with an apparent good track record.

Anyone run any of them?:confused:

tufcj
01-12-2012, 13:13
I had a Mobi-Weld unit on my Jeep for years. Never any problems with it. Used it a fair amount on 4-wheeling excursions. Took a little getting used to the high frequency arc, but made neat, good quality welds.

http://www.essexmfg.com/MobiWeld/index.stm

Bob
tufcj

gimpyhauler
01-18-2012, 17:47
tufcj,

Thank you. Knowing a bit about the Rubicon, I can appreciate your opinion. Thanks. I've asked for prices. :D

tufcj
01-20-2012, 13:49
Ran the Rubicon in 2000 and again in 2002. I also did the Dakota Territory Challenge several times along with the toughest trails they had to dish out here in Colorado. Sadly, it just wasn't worth keeping the Jeep for 1 or 2 times out each summer. Sold it last summer to a guy who I knew would appreciate a hard core rock crawler and use it accordingly. I bought my Duramax as a tow vehicle for my Jeep excursions.

Bob
tufcj

gimpyhauler
01-20-2012, 20:57
Bob,

Had a 51 flatty that didn't have an original wire, nut, bolt, screw or glass. Same problem so I got rid of it also. My buddy has a BIG V8 jeep with 44s. Chevy diesel truck and nice car trailer combo to tow the Jeep to the Sierras.

I bought a Polaris Ranger, fits in the bed of my LBZ longbed/crewcab. I can go about anywhere on the Rubicon his jeep goes. I use my Ranger all year long and go far more miles than my friend does in his jeep. He's sitting in the right seat of my Ranger during hunting season. :D

FJ40INTOW
02-13-2012, 21:35
I have a Link Arc under the hood of my FJ40. It is at least 12 yrs old.
It is very similar to the Premier(they may be rebadged). It has worked flawless.
It is a pulsed DC. I have run angle grinders from the outlet too.
It has very good penetration.

The one I have has a 165 Amp Alternator.

gimpyhauler
02-15-2012, 15:03
Thanks FJ. I figured the 165 was probably big enough for normal ranch use. Also being able to run power equipment is a huge plus.