View Full Version : what is the best turbo to run on a 6.2

Vin82k3500
12-11-2011, 06:34
Wich turbo is better to run the gm or the banks

john8662
12-11-2011, 23:05
Do you have both setups?

6.5 Setup and a 6.2L Banks setup?

Persoanlly. the 6.2 Banks setup works in the chassis you're working with. Makes more power due to the higher-flowing exhaust. It's laggier than the 6.5 setup though. But if you're semi-low geared, the Banks setup works pretty good.

6.5L setup. small turbo with great spoolup, falls on it's face after 2500RPM, but lots of low end. Doesn't fit in an 80's chassis very well. Doesn't fit 6.2's with long-body injectors, and doesn't fit 6.2's prior to 1990 year very well even with short-body injectors because of the injector angle used on heads on 6.2's from 82-89. A/C in the truck, then nope, ain't gonna work well at all.

At least with the Banks you have options on what turbochargers to mount on the manifold and adapt to the downpipe. The T04B that comes with the kit is OK, it just has a large 1.0 A/R ratio turbine housing with a big P-Trim wheel. pretty big. Find a T3 6-bolt outlet turbine housing in a .83 A/R then you're cooking and will see 12-14psi boost and good response. Or cut the downpipe flange, weld on the standard 4-bolt round flange and use a commonly available .81 A/R P-trim turbine housing with your existing turbo, either way, smaller turbine, better response.

I vote Banks turbo for your 82

Vin82k3500
12-12-2011, 16:46
I have the 6.5 set up its on the engine with custom made pipes and right you are about the geometry of the vehical i have been looking for a second hand banks setup my engine has the full set up intake ect it looks like a 6.5 td but its a 6.2 but i think the whole top end heads included came off a 97 6.5 td and ac is the issue this is the reason I have been considering swaping to a banks or reverting the engine to n/a I took this engine from annother truck it had a stack through the hood and was just a toy I have repleced a gas engine with it and recently aquired annother donor truck with ac so i can make my ac work again maybey ill just buy the manifold from banks and relocate the gm 8 turbo though there are many options I have not compared them would the lag from the banks be worse than an n/a engine I have an n/a engine i drive every day and it pretty responsive in my own opinion

Vin82k3500
12-12-2011, 16:50
Ok John I see all of your trucks are 6.2 /6.5s love it guess your the guy I want to ask thanks again for your advice

john8662
12-13-2011, 08:07
There were a couple of Banks setups that went on eBay recently, around $600 for the setup.

Watch on there for a setup.

I've been having to buy complete engines out of the salvage yard to get a setup, that's kinda pricey.

You'll need the whole setup to do your truck. The GM-8 will physically mount oo the manifold, but the exhaust won't be routable, because of the sharp 90 on the turbine housing.

Yukon6.2
12-13-2011, 09:09
Hi Vin
Nice to see someone that keeps their old GM's forever
I have a older stright bodied truck that i want to turbo some day when i have the time.I have been colecting parts for that day,and fabing up some.I decided to use the banks manifold and was lucky to get a brand new on from Ebay,I also converted a aftercooler from a 2000 dodge,and have it mounted in a modified rad support,once it's installed it will look stock from the outside.
I decided to go with the banks turbo for their 7.3 diesel kit.It is a wastegated turbo made by Misubishi heavy industries,model TH06E if i remember right.There were a couple of members using this one when i joined.There is a nice one on Ebay right now.
All i need is the crossover,and a few little odds and ends,and a slot of time to do the changeover.I picked up a brand new 6.5 with about 100 mikes on it,which i will swap in now as well,my 6.2 has a issue and i'm not confident it's going to last much longer.Just need more time.
Thomas

john8662
12-13-2011, 13:02
Good to bring up the TE06H Turbo. I hear good things about it too. I have one but haven't got the time to try it out either.

Vin82k3500
12-13-2011, 18:38
I will keep my eyes out on ebay John I cant find one of these things anywere around here in salvage the stupid morons around here dont salvage them they crush them and the ones that are smart enogh to hang on to them want more than you can buy new stuff for

woodwright
12-15-2011, 02:29
Is anybody running duels? I've got this crazy idea of running 2 smaller turbos off of custom headers. Not crazy power that would take alot of bulletproofing, try to stay under 10 psi.

Vin82k3500
12-15-2011, 17:57
ive seen a few set ups on here peter beirman i believe is the name I was considering doing it myself but its so easy to go with bolt on stuff that lets me keep my factory assesories like ac and cruise control since I use the truck about 15 to 20 times a year to haul bots cars ect from maine to florida and maine to california I have a bigger truck for bigger stuff but my k30 is nice when im coming home empty im only driving a pick up im just looking for maybe 200 to 250 hp and 400 + tourque its all i need but anyway check on here and on you tube there is a couple i think with twins

JeepSJ
12-15-2011, 18:09
I'm not really too happy with my TE06H. I can't seem to find a happy point between egt and boost. When I play with timing to get acceptable egt, the boost falls off. When I try to get more boost the egt goes crazy. It also doesn't seem to want to build boost until 2400rpm or so. When I'm cruising on the freeway at 1900rpm and get into the throttle the turbo doesn't want to build boost. I'm really thinking HX35 because of all the parts that are available to really get them sized for the engine.

woodwright
12-15-2011, 22:17
There was a thread somewhere where a guy used 2 small turbos like T3's. They spooled up to 8 pounds almost instantly and had great throttle response. I can't find it now.

master53yoda
12-21-2011, 21:07
When i turbod my motor home I remote mounted 2ea Garret 2252-60 turbos (Page 29 in garrets turbo catalog). They deliver 11.5 to 12 psi boost @ the manifold. The turbos and after-coolers are under the motor home with incased cone air filters. The intake manifold is a hummer manifold with a common plenium. I turned the injector pump up 1/4 turn and it runs at a peak of 925 at the exhaust manifold outlet. I do not get black smoke even going over Snoqualimie Pass in second and over @50 at full throttle. I could probably turn the pump up some more as I have plenty of air,but I don't feel the need for any more power and the balance of the engine is 75,000 mi 1984 and completely stock. When i did the clacs. using Garrets formulas I was calculating for 250HP and I Think I'm in the 210 to 220 range were the pump is currently set. Even with the extra 4ft of inlet piping and the after-coolers it spools faster then my banks does on my pickup.

I have driven about 1000 mi. with no problems other then needing to clean the air filters after about a 50 mi run on a dirt road. I noticed that the Boost had dropped of to about 10 peak before I cleaned the filters. I do carry an extra set of filters. The only concern i have is driving in snow/sleet conditions and snow packing the air filters. Rain doesn't seem to have any affect on them.

I have some pictures of the install on the board form last summer.