PDA

View Full Version : 3 Odd Quirks

Jakemax04
11-28-2011, 22:39
First i noticed the radio would stay on sometimes with the key out and the door open. it would go off after opening and closing the door a few times.

Second, one morning (about 27 degrees) The dash said service 4wd. Did not run different, went away when started up several hours later.

Third, At the whataburger drive thru i placed it in neutral cause i thought i was gonna have to kill it so lady could here me, but i didnt and i heard a clunk and it wouldnt go into drive, little bar was flashing under D. Range Shift Inhibited was on the screen. I put it back in park then back to drive and it fixed it self.

The Question is are all these things connected or does this truck have 3 things wrong with it? I just installed the pump rub kit in the T-case, so i know it has plenty of fluid in it. Very frustrating, i fix one thing and all these other things pop up.

I have read up that range shift problem could be switch on side of tranny, and service 4wd could be selector switch on dash, but what about the radio? could the ignition switch cause all those problems?

DmaxMaverick
11-29-2011, 00:15
All 3 issues are unrelated (dumb luck), and not related to your TC upgrade.

The tranny issue is probably the NSBU (switch on the side of the tranny). It may be going, but probably just a dirty connection, or poor internal contacts.

The "Service 4wd" message could be the switch cluster, or just a fluke. It won't keep you from running, but may prevent 4x4 engagement. More often than not, when this problem is persistent, button cluster replacement is the remedy.

Your radio issue is RAP related (Retained Accessory Power). Opening/closing the door a few times is evidence of that. The "switch" is in the door latch. If this repeats, try opening the passenger door first to try to clear it. If it immediately turns off, the problem is the driver side door latch switch. It can be cleaned once accessed, and is successful in most cases.

The good news is, none of these issues will leave you stranded (unless you NEED 4x4, while it's acting up). More good news is, all of these issues are inexpensive and easy to replace, if component replacement is required.

Jakemax04
11-29-2011, 06:10
Well it's good news to hear they are simple! Just frustrating, especially after Main hubs wore out(never take to stealer for this), fprv replacement(that was fun tryin to figure that out), a water pump out, hole in t case, and electrical gremlins. All this happened one after the other. I used to talk smack bout dodge now I have no room to talk! Anyway thx for the info