PDA

View Full Version : 2006 rear axle seal change...clip??

timberland
11-26-2011, 16:35
Thought I would try here too as more people hang out in this forum than the drive train forum .........

Hey guys..... I just changed the rear seal on the axle hub on my 06 HD DMax. When reinstalling what direction does the clip / retainer go on? I placed the hex key in after the nut, then went to install the clip and noticed it has a ever so slight bend on one of the tips. I believe the bend faced outward when I removed it. I placed the bend in the groove in the housing. Years ago I did a hub seal on a 86' Chevy Diesel and it had a washer that you bent around the nut. How does this clip hold the nut on?? I didn't notice any special groove for the clip to reside on the axle housing. ???? Thanks for the help.

P.S. I use to hang out here back in 02' with my then new Dmax. Some where along the time line I lost my password and old log in name * blush* ...so I'm new , but not really new, lol

Kennedy
12-01-2011, 09:13
I just drop the tab in the keyway and wind it on making sure that the spring falls into the root of the threads. It just needs to hold the key in place and the tab just keeps it from spinning off.