PDA

View Full Version : 2006 HD rear axle after seal change ??

timberland
11-26-2011, 16:26
Hey guys..... I just changed the rear seal on the axle hub on my 06 HD DMax. When reinstalling what direction does the clip / retainer go on? I placed the hex key in after the nut, then went to install the clip and noticed it has a ever so slight bend on one of the tips. I believe the bend faced outward when I removed it. I placed the bend in the groove in the housing. Years ago I did a hub seal on a 86' Chevy Diesel and it had a washer that you bent around the nut. How does this clip hold the nut on?? I didn't notice any special groove for the clip to reside on the axle housing. ???? Thanks for the help.

P.S. I use to hang out here back in 02' with my then new Dmax. Some where along the time line I lost my password and old log in name * blush* ...so I'm new , but not really new, lol:)

timberland
11-27-2011, 15:26
After numerous search's on the web, I didn't find any actual photo's of how this was supposed to be. Sooooo, I did the next best thing...remove the opposite side and look. What I found was the retainer flat piece resides against the hex key and the hook portion of the clip is obviously inserted in the housing key way...the important part is the hook end of the retainer clips onto the key way in the direction as if to unthread it would "hook" on the key way and prevent it from turning....thus keeping the key in the nut and keeping everything lined up. Another important feature is the retainer clip hook laps over the flat tab ..OVER the key.

When you install the new seal in the hub, install the hub add a bit of GL5 to the hub cavity, place the nut on, torque to 50 ft lbs, then back the nut off 1/4 turn and then adjust back out further until the nut lines up with the housing key way. Hope this helps someone if in need.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii317/rangerdvs205/IMAG1049.jpg

More Power
12-11-2011, 16:31
Thank you for posting the pic. Great post.

Jim