PDA

View Full Version : aaaaaaaaaaaaggghhhhhhhhh transfer case

ttpost
05-14-2004, 19:41
ok earlier post transfer case went out,out of oil, i rebuilt the case, went to pull out this morning in reverse it popped out of gear, figured i didnt have it all the way in, went to work 40 miles,partially over logging roads, no problems.

when i went to leave it popped out again, started to worry.on the way home it popped out again in drive. really began to worry. i adjusted the linkage on the way home, but i cant see what good that does, all it seems to due is move the shift knob around. popped out a couple more times.

there were no metal shavings in the case when i tore it apart other than the aluminum from the shift fork.

i looked over my diagrams and i cant see where i did anything wrong.it shifts fine from 4 high low and 2wd.

another symptom the 4wd isnt engaging now but i figured i might have broken a wire installing. and i havent checked it out yet.

when i put it in 4wd the front driveline engages but it seems like the front axle isnt engaging.

any and all help would be appreciated.

i am getting extremely frustrated with this truck. :mad:

i had no problems until the tranny blew, now i have had the computer go bad, vssb go bad, temperature sending unit go bad, transfer case fork go out, and now this, and to top it all off it is starting to get a dead spot in acceleration, it think it is fuel, gonna change fuel filter and lift pump and try that. this is all in the last 1100 miles,guys i need some help here i thank you in advance

a5150nut
05-14-2004, 21:23
Can't help with the transfer case, but...... before you change the lift pump, open the drain on the fuel filter with engine running. If you get fuel and the engine keeps running you don't need the change the lift pump. Drain is located near thermostat at front of engine. Ruber hose probably down past alternator. You can pull the hose up and drain into a can.

ttpost
05-15-2004, 19:41
WELL I THINK I FOUND THE PROBLEM, TORE THE TRANSFER CASE APART TODAY,THE PLANETARY GEAR WAS TOO FAR TOWARDS THE TRANSMISSION.IT HAD PARTIALLY EATEN UP THE INPUT SEAL.
re-adjusted it and put it back in,lit up the tires in reverse and forward several times(wet pavement) and it stayed in gear.

what i am not sure of is did i either not set the planetary right, or did it slide forward or a combination of both.i will know in a few days.

i went over my diagrams over and over and i cant find where i left anything out.

i will say that it looks to me that if you jam it in to gear there is a potential of driving the planetary towards the transmission causing this problem. i think there should be a thrust washer between the planetary and the front bearing. that would stop this from ever happening.

i will say this is the first transfer case i have ever tore apart, so who knows.

now the bad news i dropped the oil pump on the ground and partially broke off one of the tabs, so if it holds up i will need to replace that. :confused: but i can do it without pulling the case so that helps.

also changed fuel filter, i put in neutral to pump the fuel out but that didnt seem to work,also put it in other gears, i think my lift pump is about to go out.

by the way did anyone ever notice how much miller beer and diesel fuel look alike :eek: ,(had the bright idea to use a clear bottle to look at the fuel coming out of the bleeder) but they sure dont taste the same :D :D :D

ttpost
05-18-2004, 07:47
well went about 60 miles did it again, this time i pulled the front input bearing and low and behold i am an idiot, the new bearing was narrower than the old one.i didnt notice it in the night i tore it apart(too tired).

come to find out they make two different bearings for the np241 c, it would have been nice if the parts guy would have told me that.

anyway it should be done now.
thanks guys

damork
05-18-2004, 18:02
ttpost,
My transfer case lost the shift forks at 167k miles while pulling into Bismarck ND late one night last fall - the first I knew that the forks were aluminum was the next day. Apparently most are running on borrowed time by the 150,000 mile mark if they haven't failed by then.

Anyone running one of these units is supposed to change the fluid regularly, something like 15,000 miles especially if you see a lot of highway speeds. I haven't taken temps of mine, but I change it more often now. Seems they can get quite toasty and the ATF does get quite an ugly brown. I understand Hummers have a cooler mounted in some of their transfer cases to help with the problem.

cruzer
05-19-2004, 10:19
There are also little plastic covers that go over the fingers of the shift fork. If they are not there you will have more slop in shifting or
improper engagement and premature fork failures. It's also hard on the shift collar w/o them. I did not see any mention of these in your past posts. FYI

ttpost
05-19-2004, 12:31
thanks for the response guys, i am telling everyone i know with one of these trucks to keep the fluid changed.

also i did install the guides, the problem was the input bearing they gave me was the wrong one it was narrower, they make two different styles.

i should have seen the difference but i was tired when i went through it, 12 hour day, and a 5 mile walk to get home :eek: didnt think about putting it in 4 low till i got back to the truck. redface.gif