View Full Version : Oil Analysis

rjwest
09-11-2004, 08:49
Has anyone been doing oil analysis?.

Is it worth it?

Who would you reccomend.

332bill
09-13-2004, 05:50
I have not done it yet, but plan to have the oil analyzed at the next change. I have already received the container from Blackstone labs. Just need to fill it up and send it back.

Bill

Dvldog 8793
09-13-2004, 06:02
Howdy
I have friend that works for our county as a diesel mech. He has also worked for several other large trucking firms. He told me that about 90% of the time OA didn't tell them anything they didn't already know, and several times caused premature tear downs of engines that had no problems. He said that it does have it's place but didn't think that trucks that are regularly maintained and not abused need it. He said it's a good tool if you have a problem and can't figure it out, oil consumption, coolant loss ect....
Also that to do it on a regular basis would be a waiste of money that I could spend on new oil filters or Beer :D
Just Tom's .02!
L8r
Conley Janssen

Spindrift
09-13-2004, 12:10
I believe Amsoil and/or Oilguard does them...both sponsors.

slagona
09-13-2004, 12:54
When I first purchased my '99 Suburban with 127K miles on it - I changed the oil, drove it 4K miles and sent in a sample to Blackstone. Mainly to see what kind of shape the engine was in. Report came back with flying colors - Nothing abnormal, even suggested I can go 5K between changes.

The main reason I did it was that the radiator fill tank was empty. I just wanted to be sure there were no traces in the oil. I missed that when I first inspected the truck - the discoloration of the tank made it appear to be full - but I never popped the cap off until I got home.....

I think it's a good way to get peace of mind for $20..... And see how the oil is doing at your oil change interval.

DogDiesel
09-14-2004, 04:56
With 26 years active Army, I was in the military when oil analysis was first put into use. Sounded like a good idea. On components with capacity of approxiamately 5 gallon (20 QT) or more: sampling and oil change extension was put into effect.
Then we began to sample components with less capacity. Not a good idea.
So for my opinion. For 6-15 quart components, one time or two to validate a suspected problem. FINE.
Otherwise, change the oil.
Recently, I personally reviewed 20-30 HMMWV 6.2 & 6.5L engines with blueing on bearings from lack of oil change. Many of these engines ran still but emminated noise or power issues. I determined that lack of oil change was the major factor in failures.
In the past, I have reviewed component print-outs for hours, and managed fleets and change too many components that oil analysis said had no issues. The exception is fuel in oil on 2 cycle detroits. Oil analysis caught this first; with coolant and other contaminates, good human preventive maintenance and inspection was better.
I have been managing Oil analysis in fleets for over 20 years, and I change my oil according to mileage or hours and cases of hard service. Oil analysis is more feel-good than prevention for the lone one or two equipment fleet IMHO.

I own 5 vehicles, 4 tractors and one tracked loader and a few small engines; my fleet in my opinion is too small for sampling efficiencies to save serious money. I can manage this fleet still personally with hard time oil changes and inspection.
I am just one opinion.
Wayne