PDA

View Full Version : Bulb Recommendations

MikeyB
11-08-2011, 10:37
My '01 still has the original low/high beams and I am noticing a considerable dimming of their output. Any recommendations on new bulbs that are brighter and whiter? I have been looking at the Silverstar Ultra's but have read differing views on there lifespan. Pretty amazing that the originals have lasted 10+ years!

I don't want the expense and aggravation of going to the Hid's.

Thanks,
Mike

GMC D-Max
11-08-2011, 11:55
I had nothing but problems with Silverstars on my last truck ('02 Sierra). I had a Kennedy headlight booster harness on it, but that would only provide a cleaner, more direct power supply to the lights. I would suggest simply sticking with (new) OEM bulbs, and if you want noticeably brighter output, get the Kennedy harness.

DmaxMaverick
11-08-2011, 11:55
Silverstars, without a doubt. The only things better is HID, or higher wattage bulbs (illegal in most states, and can blister the lenses). The Silverstars won't last 10+ years, but are brighter and whiter than OEM/halogens. Mine last about 3 years. Expensive, but the improvement is night and day (so to speak). It's also a good idea to polish the fixtures while upgrading. Your dimming is probably due, mostly, to fogged/cloudy/dirty lenses.

Another major improvement is a remote/relayed harness, like Kennedy sells. I have one installed, and it removes the load from the headlamp switch via relays. It also offers the option for 4-on high beams (included with the kit), and independent grounds for each fixture.

MikeyB
11-09-2011, 06:11
Thanks for the replies. Guess I have been spoiled by the original bulbs longevity but not its brightness. Looks like a polishing kit and perhaps some silverstars are in my future. This darkness at 430p is already getting old!

Mike

Kennedy
11-14-2011, 14:15
We offer teh Philips Premium series bulbs. Used to have the rally series. My experience with Sylvania is that I won't touch any of their lighting products. Poor life for starters.

My HB harness deluxe kit will make a world of difference.

Spoolmak
11-21-2011, 20:33
I won't touch Sylvania high output bulbs again. I put a set of night hawks into my wife's passat projector lens headlights and they heated up so bad they blew with the dreaded bubble on the lens. I thought I'd screwed up by touching the bulb. So I replaced them with Sylvania Silver Stars being super careful. Same thing!!!! Bubble in each bulb, burned out within a week. The extra heat and gases produced by each meltdown coated the reflector surface and the inside surface of the projector lens. I tried to clean it with limited success. I put regular Halogen bulbs back in and haven't had a problem since.

I think the technology with silverstars and night hawks by Sylvania is they increased the size and resistance of the filament in the bulb so it burns way hotter - so hot that the glass bulb literally melts when placed into a smaller, confined space like a projector lens.

No, thank you. I don't need those headaches. I did put a set of Pia's into her high beams, and they have lasted well over two years now with excellent light on high beam.

Tor

Sent from sunny Puerto Vallarta, where the one who shall be listened to, dragged me - kicking and screaming of course. I can hardly wait to get back to the ice and snow.....

Kennedy
11-22-2011, 07:19
I just had a customer truck out on a late afternoon test drive trying to work out some bugs. Started to get dark and I realized no lights so I hauled ass for home geting flashed by everybody I met. Then I thought to try the high beams and they worked. I had been out with this truck before, and both lows were working fine. Pulled in the shop and popped the lights out. Crappin Silverstars! Both low beam bulbs failed simultaneously. When was the last time you had that happen???

Anything with a tinted glass is going to mute the light. Just like putting a colored lens on a flashlight and trying to project a beam. Truck now sports Philips Premiums and all is well. Xenon gas for whiter light BUT clear glass for better light transmission.