PDA

View Full Version : Cold temp Cranking survey

Dvldog 8793
01-29-2004, 14:00
Howdy
A member raised a good question in another post and thought maybe a survey is in order.

QUESTION: What is the coldest temp that you have achieved take off without the rig being plugged in?

I know all things are not equal: different batteries, fuels, ect... So please include any pert info.

My personal best was 3 years ago when I got my '99. NO MODS & 2yr old Delcos, I had to try it just to see how low it would be reliable. It was neg 25 degrees out and she started. NOT HAPPILY and VERY LOUD :eek: and I probably took 20,000 miles off the life of the engine. BUT now I know. :D
L8r
Conley

freddys
01-29-2004, 14:19
My cold start was just the other day when the block heater cord broke and didn

moondoggie
01-29-2004, 14:21
Good Day!

dieseldummy
01-29-2004, 18:13
A couple of weeks ago it got down to -18F and was still -10F when i tried to start it, but after running the glow plugs for a minute or so it fired right off. They say that 60g's wont burn out, might as well try right. -18 might not sound cold, but it is in my book.
Justin

chickenhunterbob
01-29-2004, 18:57
OK, in the interset of science? I'll bite.

Appended is cut and paste the current local temp one hour ago and it ain't warming up. Truck has been sitting for 4 days, not plugged in, 15-40 oil, had to crank 3 times, first two times started fairly quick and chugged for a few seconds and died. Third time and is still running to warm up, I think I may go for a spin to fuel up and recharge the batteries (Motomaster 1000 CCA - 1200 CA).

BRRRRRRRRR! :eek:

TurboDiverArt
01-29-2004, 19:14
Geeze! And I'm fretting over starting my truck in 15 degree weather. Only had the truck a little over a month now. 99 Suburban, all stock, +15 degrees, 10W-40 Rotella, 1000amp, 3-year old batteries.

charliepeterson
01-29-2004, 19:46
Two weeks ago we had the coldest temps in 57 years -20*F for three days, no block heater on for the last day, one LONG cycle of plugs and one long crank and it fired off. Last summer new Batts. (3 yrs.), 15W-40 Rottella with Power Service "911" in the tank.

Uncle Wally
01-29-2004, 20:22
I think it was the winter of 98-99. It hit -25 for several days. Block heater was toast and I didn't know it till it cranked reaaaaaally slow.

She poped off and ran though. Each morning.

I was runnin 15-40 Rotella and the batteries where less than a year old.

It wasn't but a couple weeks later the starter went out.

Waldo

FarmerDale
01-30-2004, 06:08
Moondoggie

I think you are going for the liar's poker pot if you try to convince me that it can be -20F in the summer in our Great State. :D :D

I started my '95 around -10F late on a Christmas Eve in 1998 or '99. She sounded like it was going to shake apart, but almost got warm before I parked it in the heated shop at home!!!

GMCfourX4
01-30-2004, 06:11
I live about a mile from CharlieP, and it gets a lot colder at my house, but my truck still started :D j/k.... Same temps, I'm running Rotella T synthetic (0W-40) and have dual Optima Red-Tops.... And those quick-fire glow plugs (about a year and a half old). Always starts first time, whether its plugged in or not.

Govt issue
01-30-2004, 07:26
Cool. anybody in alaska or some other really cold place. I guy who worked with me once has told me stories about how cold it got there. I read in the other post about trucks and equip. ideling allday. How cold is it when they do this.

Shad
01-30-2004, 08:02
Hit -15 last night and my block heater is not working. started on the 3rd glow. kept the battery charger on trickle overnight. too cold to look into the block heater right now. batteries 3 years old

Dvldog 8793
01-30-2004, 08:15
Howdy
In the Marines I was at Norway and we had vehicles idle for over 1 week without ever shutting them off. These were 6.2 hummers and cucv's. We never had any problems. The outside temp sometimes as low as -50F. That's ambient. I had the pleasure of helping another Marine motor pool get there vehivles off ship that had not used winter fuel. :rolleyes: :mad:
What a mess! The whole fuel system was solidified! We used Jet fuel to get the things going.

damork
01-30-2004, 08:19
It was -8F to -10F this morning. Oil is Delvac 1 (5w-40), new SUV Diehards, DSG timing gears, 180k miles and 105k on injectors. Fuel is Amoco Premier Diesel using Stanadyne Perf Blue all the time. Have block heater but couldn't plug it in.

Spun over quick and started after 1 glow cycle, ran a bit rough but with injectors that old I expected it. Let it run 10 minutes before moving. I love synthetic oil.

[ 01-30-2004, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: damork ]

moondoggie
01-30-2004, 09:12
Good Day!

Farmer Dale: Thx for the heads-up; you'll note that I corrected my post.

You may notice that you're the only one who mentioned my typo. That's because most folks believe it really is that cold up here all year. I like to never pop their bubble. We have, after all, an image to maintain. smile.gif The only reason you mentioned my typo was because you know better. Let's keep our 90 - 100

TTM
01-30-2004, 15:17
Normally I just read comments but I couldn't resist, last night was my first non plug in night, and it got down to -20C and let me tell ya the ole girl wasn't happy; it cranked for 2-3 seconds and then started. But, it has got down to -35C this year but with it plugged in no problem. You guys can correct me but I think my owners manual says -18C is when it recommeded to be plugged in.

94 3/4 ton 205250km's
No mod's and all original equipment (one pump)
15w-40 Rotella

Kidd
01-30-2004, 17:55
My 98 starts OK at -35C, use 0W-40 synthetic, still has original Delco batteries. Need to replace glow plugs every year, though. :(
Just installed a set of 60G plugs, lotsa fun at
-29, I may never thaw out.
K.D.

ulhpilot
01-31-2004, 08:27
December '93, northern Ohio. Nights were dropping down to -20F to -25F. No plug at Hotel I was staying at. Truck was relatively new with OEM batteries. I was still using Rotella 15W-40 at that time, and had started using Stanadyne Performance fuel additive. Started 3 consecutive mornings no problem, but lots of smoke. Now, engine has original glow plugs, injectors, DB-2 IP, and starter. Amsoil and Optima Red Top. Not as cold here in NC, but occasional cold spells, still starts right up. Cord has never been uncoiled, not even sure if block heater works.

rjschoolcraft
01-31-2004, 09:26
This morning it was -10F here. I installed KD quick heats and new injector nozzles back before Christmas. Went through the normal glow cycle and the truck fired and ran after 3 or 4 revolutions. It stumbled and smoked a bit (I think that my wiring problem on the #4 and #6 plugs has resurfaced) but ran OK.

I have two year old Duralast 1000 cca batteries, the side post mod (huge difference in cranking speed, even at -10F) and I run RotellaT Synthetic 5w-40 oil (helps crank speed too). I'm not sure my block heater is working at present and it's too cold to mess with it.

By the way, I cranked the John Deere 4020 shortly after the Suburban. The first few cranks were really slow. I gave it a shot of ether through the adapter and the crank speed picked up. Another couple shots and it fired. Several more shots were needed to keep it from dieing. Successful starting attempt on the first try. The 4020 runs with 16.5:1 compression. smile.gif

patrick m.
01-31-2004, 17:10
Moondoggie, i would speculate that your secret is safe. Your summers may be mild and pleasant, but the winters have to be nearly unbearable.

Our summers are HOT in July and August, March, April, May, June, Sept, and Oct are mild.

Jan, and Feb have cold spells sometimes 3 or 4 days below 25*F :D (in a row)!

I dont think i could take 25* and below for three months straight :eek:

barebackjake
02-01-2004, 16:56
Well my truck started beutifully in our chilly 30 degree southen ca weather....block heater?? is that what that cord stickin out of my grill is for....lol no cold not me