PDA

View Full Version : '06 2500HD Advice...Ball Joints/Control Arm

Alltunedup
10-23-2011, 17:11
Time to rebuild the front end of my truck, please advise on whose and what parts would be best please.....

My truck is used "slightly" for plowing in the Winter.

My lower ball joint on PS is shot, truck has 113k on it, orig bearings.....

I was thinking Cognito parts / leveling keys....? Pitman Arm/Control Arm....

Air Bag from firestone up front?

Any advice on what products I should use would be greatly appreciated.

Neli

2006 Chev K2500HD 8.1 Litre, 113k

Kennedy
10-25-2011, 16:06
Personally, I prefer the OE parts as they tend to last longer than the aftermarket stuff. Cognito pitman/idler supports on new pitman and idler arms is a great idea.

Use a GOOD quality moly grease and your suspension parts will last a LONG time. I don't grease mine nearly as often as most and I have yet to wear out anything other than pitman and ilder arms. There's no hope for the pitman and idler without supports.

GMC D-Max
10-26-2011, 06:45
I would look for heavier torsion bars if you're getting too much sag with the plow mounted. New keys are the WRONG way to compensate for too weak spring (torsion) rates. Not to mention, cranking the torsion bars puts the front end geometry all out-of-whack, hastening wear on suspension components.

This page (http://www.gmfullsize.com/tech/torsion401.html) might be helpful:

Kennedy
10-26-2011, 09:36
When plow season comes I swap out the OE cellular cushions for a set of Timbrens to help hold the weight. I'm well past capacity hanging a 9'2" Boss power V XT on my crew long, but haven't had any hint of issues.