PDA

View Full Version : Please help with VIN info

Triggerhappy
10-08-2011, 18:03
Brand new here. Always owned Ford diesels and have been a diesel mechanic for 25 years, although mostly on much larger stuff. When the liters get into multi-digits that's my area of expertise. Earthmoving stuff and large gen sets mostly.

Anyway, I'm about to buy a 2009 Chevrolet with the 6.6, but would like to know what original equipment it was ordered with. Been reading this forum for about a week gleaning info. If someone could help me out by running the VIN for a printout I would much appreciate it.

Been looking for a truck similar to this and haven't been able to find any private sellers within 300 miles, so I'm resorting to a dealer.

Thanks!

2009 2500 4x4 Crew cab 8' bed
1GCHK63679F148611

Brian

DmaxMaverick
10-08-2011, 19:38
Welcome aboard!

The VIN won't tell you much more than what is obvious (engine series, emission requirement, model year, etc). The original equipment list is in the glove box on a sticker. The "RPO" codes can be decoded with every detail of the truck as it was delivered to the original dealer. If you are shopping at a dealer, have them print out the RPO list for that truck, which will be in plain English, rather than a bunch of 3 digit codes. This has to be done by a dealer, or someone with dealer access.

Triggerhappy
10-08-2011, 22:32
Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to do that. Any "gotcha's" I should be aware of? I'm not all that impressed with the Ford engines of late. This Chevy has 60K on it, LTZ package, seems nice. All 60K in one year, seems a lot. Marks in the bed tell me something was mounted there, possibly a camper. Registered as commercial, not a big deal. Pulled the Carfax but it didn't show any maintenance of any kind. Not sure if that's good or bad...

Thanks,

TH

Triggerhappy
10-08-2011, 22:36
One other question... I've noticed that the 2011 6.6's have a built in exhaust brake. Are the aftermarket exhaust brake modules by BD & such the same or similar? Seems like the 2011 uses the turbo as an exhaust brake, and so do the aftermarket controllers. Is this a worthwhile upgrade? Have a butterfly style exhaust brake on my Ford and use it all the time. Wouldn't mind having one on the Chevy.

Thanks,

TH

DmaxMaverick
10-09-2011, 00:24
60K miles on a 2009 is 2 to 3 years, not one. 20K per year isn't too bad, and doesn't mean much if it doesn't show wear. If it runs, feels and looks good, no gotcha's to watch for. I do suggest an extended warranty if you can work that into the deal. It's a lot easier (and cheaper) while it's still under the OEM warranty, than after.

The 2011 engine brake is different than the aftermarket exhaust brakes, but operation is similar. If you've had one and like/need it, adding one will be natural. The Duramax grade braking will handle most moderate to heavy loads very well without one. I suggest trying it without before tossing in a bunch of cash. Use Tow/Haul mode when necessary and let the engine/tranny do the rest. I haul very heavy (at/near GCWR) and it does fine. I live in the mountains, so anywhere I go involves steep hills. Everywhere I go with a load involves long, steep grades (Grapevine, Pacheco, etc.), and do fine without an engine brake. A nice to have, no doubt, but not required.

Triggerhappy
10-09-2011, 11:23
Thank you, that's what I needed to know. Helps a lot.

TH