PDA

View Full Version : injector advise pls

jsummers72
10-03-2011, 10:09
howdy. I have a 2003 (LB7 ?) Duramax and I've had no problems w/ my injectors-yet ? I only have 67000 miles on it. I got a little worried about them after reading about others replacements. I suppose the factory replacement period is way over for my truck. I did get a dealer to do the injector inspection diagnostics & he told me that they were fine & didn't meet Chevy's stnds for replacement.
So, any advise on how I might keep these injectors in tip top shape so I don't have to have them replaced. I don't want to trade in the truck, we love it. It sits idle (except for wkly short runs by my son), from May-Sept each yr when we're not RV'ing in the lower 48. From Sept-Apr, I get 13 mpg towing our 25' travel trailer and 21 mpg (or above sometimes) when we're free of the trailer. On flat good roads, I always drive (in tow mode when towing) about 1600 rpm (59-61 MPH) just after the highest overdrive gear clicks in. Its a wonderful truck & I'd like to keep it forever-just the way it is. Fat chance I know-but any advise will be appreciated. Thnx so much.

More Power
10-03-2011, 11:40
Welcome to the board!

Those who sell aux fuel filter systems say better filtration extends fuel injector life. Those who sell fuel treatments say they help to extend fuel injector life.

We've had members who were religious in always buying the best fuel, the best fuel filters and fuel treatments. Some of those didn't see any additional fuel injector life. It's difficult to know with certainty if anything helps - to my knowledge there's not been a statistically valid laboratory or fleet test that proves it one way or another.

That said, and knowing how things work, I recommend a fuel treatment that includes additional fuel lubricity and a cetane booster. Fuel lubricity has declined through the years as emissions standards have increased. This is a fact.

If you're not the sort who is inclined to perform your own injector service, I recommend an aftermarket powertrain warranty that includes injector replacement (some of them don't). A full-on injector replacement at a dealership will cost ~$4500 for parts & labor. It'll cost about half that if you do it yourself.

Jim

Kennedy
10-03-2011, 15:46
Here is my take:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/docs/Duramax%20Injector%20Failures.pdf

One thing that you can pretty much bank on is that if you change nothing after the first set fails, the second will follow in the same or less miles...

We just did one that has 160 k on it. First set at 80, second 160 and now we won't know until he crosses 260, but with the addition of my Mega filter and lift pumps along with new supply lines I fully expect it to run a very long time.

One of my helpers has had my Mega and lift pumps on his 2002. He made 140k on his originals before he filled his crankcase. Not much you can do about cracking...