PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Duramax steam/vapor from underhood

Chevy Ryan
09-21-2011, 08:47
Hello. I've had a 2011 Duramax since June of this year. On three occasions, after coming to a stop, smoke/steam/vapor comes out of the passenger side of the hood. It lasts about 5 seconds and has a diesel/exhaust odor. It's white in color. It has always happened after a highway run. The dealer has no idea. Has anyone heard of this or had it happen to them? Thank you!

bobt
09-21-2011, 22:25
Apart from the smell, it might be moisture from the AC system dripping onto something hot, like the exhaust. I haven't experienced this with my '09.
Bob

Chevy Ryan
09-22-2011, 10:48
I'm just wondering if it's something to do with the DEF, since the steam comes the corner of the hood where the DEF filler is.

cowboywildbill
09-23-2011, 04:40
Have your dealer check the exhaust downpipe. It may be loose or misaligned or need an updated gasket there have been some that puff a mist of smoke/steam during regen.

WLucas
09-24-2011, 13:58
Ryan, or anyone who has had a problem with the new 2011 Duramax smoking at times.

I had a 2001 Duramax, had no problems, but I purchased my 2011 Duramax on 03/12/2011, went on a trip to Colorado in May 2011, where I had to take the truck to Dellenbach Motors for warranty work. Oil was leaking from the Gallery plugs on the back side of the engine. They kept it for 5 days to do the work. Later GM did issue a recall about the plugs. I do not see any oil leaking from the engine, so have been confused as to where the smoke is coming from

Now, for about 2-3 weeks, it has smoked from time to time, and the type of smoke that you described. When I took it to the dealer here in Florida, they could not find anything wrong.

We just returned from Birmingham today, and it smoked once on this trip. After getting back home, I crawled under the truck, and DEF is leaking from the bottom of the tank. The tank evidently has a small leak. This truck will be going back to the dealer this coming week.

So, my question is? Rayn did you determine the reason for your truck smoking? Was it from the DEF? If not what was the reason, so I can be more informed when going back to the dealer.

Thank you.

William Lucas
Fort Walton Beach, Florida

Panther
09-26-2011, 09:31
SO... I have had the same problem for years. when I spoke to the dealer they told me it was the oil burning off from a breather valve and that there is no way to clean this piece so I let it ride for many years.
UNTIL NOW!
I just recently had a new mechanic look at my '03 LB7 and he pointed a mess, oil spattered all over the front of my engine, the hood, shrowed, fan, belts, etc. He originally thought there was a faulty gasket at the base of the motor but when he put it on the lift and removed the bottom shrowed he identified a BLOW OUT tube. this seems to be coming from the Turbo (we are not 100% sure, but looking into it).
Originally this was just a drip and I assume the breather tube the dealer was talking about, however it is now really bad. If it is coming from the Turbo the assumption is one of the oil seals inside the turbo is leaking and means major money towards repairs.

If you hear anything else please keep me posted!

DmaxMaverick
09-26-2011, 09:42
There is no "blow out" tube for the turbo (the entire system closed). A turbo seal leak will send the oil into the intake, or burn it out the exhaust, and all oil plumbing is at the rear of the engine. The only forward turbo plumbing is the CAC pipes (obviously) and the coolant return line (runs behind the fan pulley to the thermostat housing pipe).

The only thing that might meet that description is the crankcase vent tube. If it's blowing a lot of anything out of it, check your oil level. Odds are, it's overfull, and you're "making" oil. Problem is, it isn't oil. It's fuel. Likely from a leaking/cracked fuel injector return line, or injector(s). Check the engine oil for fuel content.