PDA

View Full Version : Buying a used one (new to me) any suggestions?

dieselrealtor
05-13-2004, 17:35
I have been patiently looking for a used Suburban and a crew or extended cab. Found a couple that are interesting, any years, models, etc to stay away from, or to look for?

I have been reading through the postings for a while. I realize there is a wealth of wisdom & experience, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

:confused:

Bobbie Martin
05-13-2004, 17:47
Depends on what you want and your budget, but a 95 would be my choice. 94 has the older style interior, the 95 and newer ones have what I think is a nicer dash layout. 94 & 95 are OBDI, which is easier to modify should you wish to go that route. They lack some of the upgrades of the newer trucks (cooling, air cleaner, oil spray blocks) but its easy to add most of the upgrades and I'm not so sure the oil spray block are all they are "cracked" up to be. If you are just going to drive it and don't plan on any mods I would get the newest one you can afford. Keep in mind most are over 100,000 miles and may need brakes, steering, shocks, A/C work, etc. Even if they were done sometime in that past, you don't know the quality of the repairs.

tswartos
05-13-2004, 21:31
Most but not all see my sig :D

C.K. Piquup
05-14-2004, 02:53
For the lowest mileage,try to find a`99-`00 that just came off of a lease.I`m not sure if the diesel suburban website run by the Chevy dealer in Pensacola,Fla.is still running,but they were selling these with 50,000mi.+/- last year.If you are planning to tow or haul loads with the crew-cab,look for a Dmax,you won`t regret it.For GP driving(showing buyers property?)all years are fine.

dieselrealtor
05-14-2004, 18:35
I agree, I like the 95+ dash configuration & the newer the better.

I have a spending range of $5k-$25k, depending on how good the buy is, the closer to $5k the better but if it is a good buy I can go up to $25k.
:D
Other than blowby, is ther anything else I should look for or certain models to stay away from?

Marty Lau
05-17-2004, 09:50
I'm with Bobby, I like being able to trouble shoot the truck with a paper clip. I would hang loose and look for a clean lower mile 1995 if it can be found as you will pay much less than say a'99 with same miles. I bet you will have to spend over $10,000 for a decent one.

oneton
05-17-2004, 12:18
Doug, did you get my email about my truck that I'm selling?

Thanks
David

HowieE
05-17-2004, 13:09
A diesel is not as forgiving as a gaser so I would look for a truck that has been owned by someone who has shown some interest in his truck. By that I mean someone who may have done some modes like installing guages. If he has bothered to install anything that was intended to protect the truck he most likely changed the oil. Oil changes are were a diesel is less forgiving and the most important consideration.

dieselrealtor
05-19-2004, 02:57
David, I send a reply email, it bounced back. (problems with aol) :confused: . Thanks so much for the info.

moedog
06-16-2004, 18:38
IT MAY BE TO LATE BUT I HAVE OWNED 2, A 94 AND A 97 AND THEY ARE JUST NOT UP TO PAR WITH THE OTHER DIESEL DESIGNS. LOOK AT THIS PAGE SITE AND VUE ALL THE PROBLEMS. DOESNT THAT SEND YOU A BIG, RED LIGHT!!!!
UNLESS YOU MODIFY THESE 6.5S TO THE TUNE OF 18 TO 1 MARINE PISTONS, THE RIGHT YEAR BLOCK, INTERCOOLER AND A MIRAD OF OTHER SMALL AND EXPENSIVE ADDS THEY DONT HOLD UP. ITS JUST A FACT. PRE 94 WAS NOT DIGITAL FUEL INJ. AND HAD ALOT LESS BREAK DOWNS ON THE FUEL AREA.
HOPE THIS HELPS.
IF YOU MUST HAVE ONE, BUY IT FROM A MEMBER OF THIS SITE THAT HAS DONE ALL THE CORRECT MODS FOR YOU.
DAN

dieselrealtor
06-16-2004, 19:03
bought a 97 Suburban k2500 last night, 83k miles.
No obvious modifications, I have another posting asking for suggestions, do you have any? :D