PDA

View Full Version : Brake Light help

Hooptybass
08-25-2011, 14:11
Im having brake light issues. My turn signals and park lights work .. but now brake lights at all .. i chased all the wires under the truck and they look good ..all the fuses look good . i pulled the codes out the comp and got a DTC 38 brake switch stuck off . would that mean the switch on the petal is shot ?
Oh its on my 94 gmc 2500 burb

Thanks Brian

DmaxMaverick
08-25-2011, 18:46
It's probably the brake pedal switch. When they fail, you will usually (but not always) have issues with cruise control. Equally prone to failure is the hazard switch (in the column), which can cause the same symptoms, and sometimes the code. The brake pedal switch is less expensive, and a whole lot easier to access. Start there.

DaveBr
08-25-2011, 22:06
Did you check the fuses and relays under the hood?

Subzilla
08-26-2011, 11:22
Just fixed this on my '94 last night. Pulled the brake pedal switch off after contorting my hands up over the pedal. I snapped apart the switch and found a light coating of fluid on the internal contacts. I'm thinking my booster may be weeping and running along the pedal rod and finding its way into the switch. May explain why the cruise was intermittent.

I cleaned it, snapped it back together, reinstalled and now have brake lights. A new switch from Autozone is $14 but it only took 10 minutes at most to clean the old one.

Hooptybass
08-28-2011, 17:43
Ill have to give that a try when i get back to ohio ...Im in Rome Ga. right now. My 12 year old daughter was there visiting her Gma and her appendix decided it was time to go so we had to haul ass down to her since she was in the hopstial
But im hoping its as simple as you say .. thanks

Brian