PDA

View Full Version : gear drive ?

cudaaa
05-13-2004, 05:12
Are the gear drives worth the money? I am changing the water pump and balancer. Thought I would ask since im so close to it. 85k on the truck. Thanks for the help. cudaaa

CleviteKid
05-13-2004, 05:44
Almost everyone who participates in these Forums (Fora ? who took Latin?) will tell you that the gear drive is very much worth the cost in terms of precision of injection and cam timing, noticeable performance and smoothness of operation, and no worries for half a million miles about your cam and pump drive system.

My own history includes some false economizing with the first partial rebuild of my original engine. I put in a new chain and sprockets, but within two years I was tearing the engine apart again for the sole purpose of putting in the gear drive I bought from John Kennedy. So learn from my experience, skip the new chain, and go straight to the gears. You will not regret it.

Dr. Lee :cool:

DmaxMaverick
05-13-2004, 11:21
....Forums (Fora ? who took Latin?).... You kill me, Doc.

TOGA!!!

(words from a late, great)

Sorry. Couldn't resist :D

damork
05-14-2004, 05:51
cudaa,

I vote along with going the gear route.

I have over 187,000 miles on my truck, and did the gears about 25,000 miles ago. Installing the gears was probably the single best upgrade I ever installed on my truck along with the HO water pump/thermostats.

My truck started at -10F without being plugged in this past January and it leveled out and ran surprisingly smooth. It fired off, had a little white smoke then leveled right away into a smooth idle. The injectors injectors and glow plugs were at 100,000 miles, the fuel pump at 60,000 miles. It has never run so good and should have had cam gears from day 1.

CleviteKid
05-14-2004, 17:59
Hey DmaxMaverick,

Every so often when I am trying to conduct a high-level analytical discussion, but have to go take a whiz or something, The Clevite Kid sneaks in and tries to add something he thinks is funny within my post. See, he did it again. Durn punk; I'm gonna have to let the air out of his tires, or something.

Dr. Lee :cool:

DickWells
05-17-2004, 17:11
Hi cudaaa: FWIW, I vote with those who say to go with the phazer gears. I don't know if I'd jump on it with so little mileage, but if you think that the cost is not too high, and you've got everything opened up, I don't think you'd be sorry. It has been the single most noticeable improvement that I have made to the Burb. to date, and if you look at my profile, you'll see that I've gotten into it. A lot!
Dick Wells

cudaaa
05-17-2004, 19:41
Thanks for the info! Great help as always! Cudaaa