PDA

View Full Version : Service Airbag Message

JohnnyR
07-21-2011, 13:32
2005 GMC 2500HD Duramax. Currently have red airbag icon as well as "Service Airbag" message on DIC. Pulled the driver airbag and cleaned the contacts behing the bag and the large yellow one under the dash to the left of steering column, but that did not help. I've read where it might be the SIR coil, but all the control buttons on the steering wheel work fine. What else can I check? I've read about other connections up front or under the seat. Can anyone tell me where to look for these?

JohnC
07-21-2011, 17:49
If the light is on there are diagnostic codes stored. Start with them...

JohnnyR
07-22-2011, 09:02
No codes showed up on Autozone's code reader.

JohnC
07-22-2011, 18:13
They may not be able to read body codes. Find someone with a Tech II or a code reader that can.

DmaxMaverick
07-22-2011, 20:24
I agree. There should be codes stored. Most "code readers" only read P codes. The SRS codes will likely be B or U codes, which few scanner/readers can access.

You can check the SRS system wiring and components easily. They are well marked, and the only bright yellow circuits on your truck. Any connector, harness or "device" will be bright yellow. The impact sensors should be located on the frame, inside near the front, or on the radiator support (not sure about 2005 models). There may also be an accelerometer under the driver or passenger seat, with a bright yellow connector and box. Be sure to remove power from the system before attempting any service to the system. Pulling fuses is OK, but disconnect the batteries to be sure. You don't want a VOM to set off a charge (which can happen). Check and clean connections and look for obvious physical damage. That's about all you can do, short of visiting a dealer. Some small/local shops have certified SRS technicians, and may be better and more affordable than a dealer. Always ask if they are certified, if you go there.

tufcj
07-25-2011, 11:35
Mine stored a "B" code when that message came up. My car type scanner didn't find it, but my buddy's Snap-On scanner did. Turned out to be one of the sensors on the frame rail up behind the front bumper.

Opened the old sensor after it was replaced, and water had gotten inside and corroded it, even though it was a factory sealed unit. Air bag wires are yellow under the hood. Darn little 1" cube sensor was around $70 from GM parts direct.

Bob
tufcj

JohnnyR
07-25-2011, 16:07
Yep, the front sensor was bad. When my mechanic put his scanner on it, the message words confused both of us. It said "Discard airbag sensor (2)". Not replace but discard. Not having seen those words before, he was going to research it, and I was unable to read the code number over his shoulder. Came home and researched the net some more and found those exact words for a code B0104, meaning that sensor is bad. Other thing that threw me was there is only one front sensor on the 3/4 and 1-ton trucks up front below the radiator but it's partially blocked by the front lower shield. Kept looking at the end of frame rails and finding nothing. Anyway, one front airbag sensor later and it's fixed. Sensor was more expensive at GM dealership, but I was at the "I want to fix it now stage". Only only one bolt to remove/replace so did it myself so no diagnostic or labor fee.
Thanks for the comments and help.