07-19-2011, 18:34
i have a 98 chevy k3500 4x4. i wanna get a spare . are the ones on ebay
any good. also whats the difference between numb 5 resister and
a number 9. im new to 6.5 diesel how much are resisters at the dealer

thanks for any info

steve n.carolina

Artworks
07-21-2011, 04:40
Buy from one advertisers here, Kennedy Diesel, Heath Diesel , PMD cable.com. good services and advice. Yo'll not save anything by going ebay. ( bin there, done that !) Te resistors regulate the fuel flow, but I doubt if you notice much diffrence in day to day driving # 5 is the stock default.

racer55
07-23-2011, 14:37
Actually the #1 resistor is the stock default in some computers when there is no resistor present,others will not run without a resistor.
There doesn't seem to be a way to tell which is which other than trying it at this point AFAIK.

The #5 is a common replacement resistor as is #9,some trucks have driveability problems with a #9 though.

JohnC
07-23-2011, 18:41
Actually the #1 resistor is the stock default in some computers when there is no resistor present

I think what he meant was that the #5 is the resistor the pump is targeted to be calibrated for. Larger or smaller resistors are only used to compensate for missing the target.

Robyn
07-24-2011, 07:03
The resistor can be left out, BUTTTTTTTTT after every so many on off cycles, the computer samples things and if it finds the resistor missing it will complain (SES LIGHT)

The number 5 will usually work in most rigs without issue.

An OBD2 vehicle (96 and later) can be a tad more fussy than the OBD1 (94-95)

The ideal solution is to replace the resistor with the same value that the IP was set up with.

Sadly this can be a real PITA as the factory PMD is in a position thats tough to get a look at the resistor.
Now if you happen to have one of those tiny video probe/monitor set ups, you could easily snake the probe down into the plug port on the OLD PMD and take a peek.

Missy

JohnC
07-24-2011, 19:05
A scanner can tell you what resistor value is currently stored in the PCM.