PDA

View Full Version : Switch from metal to rubber fuel lines?

CedarGrove
07-12-2011, 18:27
The 98 is having troubles starting sometimes. It feels like a fuel problem. It seems worse on very hot days and when the tank has less than 1/4 tank. I am suspecting some holes in my fuel pickup in the tank. Just poked my head under the truck to assess the job. The metal lines from/to the tank that run in the frame rail are looking rough. Looks like they would be a pain to replace. Anyone have any objections to just cutting them out and using rubber hose?

Thanks,

Lewis

chevytuff
07-12-2011, 20:59
While it can happen, The fuel pickups in diesel trucks generally dont have problems with rusting. The tank on my 85 looks like poo from the outside but when I dropped it to replace the sending unit the tank looked factory new on the inside. Have you checked your fuel cap? sometimes the vents on the cap stick closed and create a vaccuum inside the tank. Eventually it will create enough vaccuum to effect fuel flow if it is not vented.

Have you replaced your FSD lately? this sounds more like a problem with it then your fuel supply.

DaveBr
07-12-2011, 23:09
Have you checked to see if your lift pump is operational?

trbankii
07-13-2011, 08:56
Just poked my head under the truck to assess the job. The metal lines from/to the tank that run in the frame rail are looking rough.

While it can happen, The fuel pickups in diesel trucks generally dont have problems with rusting.

Sounds like he means the metal lines outside of the tank - not the pickup lines.

I'm in the same boat. The lines along the framerail are heavily corroded. Considering the options myself.

More Power
07-13-2011, 09:29
I did a quick search for stainless-steel replacement fuel line kits. No luck... However....

http://www.classictube.com/industrial.asp indicates:

Materials & Capabilities
Our Tubing products are custom-made to order. We bend tubes from blueprints or match sample tubes with exacting standards using non-contact laser scanner technology.
Classic Tube operates 7 state-of-the-art CNC computer-driven, programmable tube benders to automatically control bending. We provide accuracy levels unsurpassed in the prebent tubing industry. Our skilled tube fabricating technicians take pride in providing customers the perfect fit for their applications. Materials include OE steel or never-rust Stainless Steel for durability. And, all of our Tubing products are made in the US from US components. So, whether you need 5 pieces or 50,000 pieces, Classic Tube is the source for your needs.

I'm surprised a vendor hasn't begun offering fuel line replacement kits for all of the diesel pickups....

With the tools and the time, most any handy diesel owner could produce a set of lines using bulk line and AN fittings.

CedarGrove
07-13-2011, 12:12
Mostly I am concerned about the metal lines at the top of the pickup outside of the tank. I'm gonna have to drop the tank to see those and I suspect that they are in bad shape. I think I am going to replace that pickup and run rubber fuel hose to replace the metal lines. The connections at the fuel pump are looking rough so I'll replace that as well, although it is still pumping fuel.

This is the wifes truck and I need to get it back to being dependable. She does landscaping everyday. She gets pissed when it doesn't start. FSD is good.

DmaxMaverick
07-13-2011, 16:37
Don't drop the tank. Remove the bed. It takes about the same amount of time, or less, is easier, and will give you the full look/access at all the lines. If the tank still has to come out, for any reason, it's still much easier to R/R with the bed off. You'll need a lot fewer Band-Aids when you're done, and you won't foul up your vocabulary (as much).

CedarGrove
07-13-2011, 17:47
We'll see. It's a dually with a gooseneck hitch. I have dropped tanks from my half tons before in the driveway. Not fun but possible.

Anyway...I think this thread is closed as I have new information which I will share in a new thread. Thank you to everyone and we will see you over there!