PDA

View Full Version : Stubborn crank nut

Lightyear
06-07-2011, 18:40
A spin-off from my post about vac pump questions: Harmonic balancer determined to be the source of noise and rough-running. Shroud removed, fan/fan clutch removed (BTE, NAPA p/n 41530 H20 pump/camshaft wrench is the BOMB, under $40), crank pulley removed. The crank nut is giving me hell. No luck with an impact wrench so far. I tried to pull the flex plate cover, but cannot get it off the truck as the trans cooler lines are in the way. Any suggestions?

As always, thanks everyone!

JohnC
06-07-2011, 20:01
No offense, but are you sure you're turning it the right way? If so, you need a bigger impact gun.

john8662
06-07-2011, 23:03
They're torqued to 200 Ft. Lbs. If done correctly and a lot of torque wrenches ain't gonna get 'er done.

All you need is a 6" 1/2" Extension to lock the engine up. Then you'll use your favorite break over bar to finish the job. Or Ratchet with cheater pipe (no warranty, neither written nor implied here).

Turn the engine with the crank bolt (15/16" socket required) until you get both of the notches in the balancer facing downward.

Now start rotating the engine counter-clockwise. Just as the first notch starts passing the lip of the oil pan on the right-hand side you can slide in your 1/2" extension. The small end of the extension goes in the hole, rotate the engine until you lock it down.

Basically what you're trying to do is wedge the extension in between the hole and the timing cover, the bevel above the lip where the oil pan bolts to.

Somewhere I have a picture of this.

Done this 20 or more times, never broken a timing cover. Heck just did it 2 hours ago.

I'm doing the long-block tomorrow on an engine for me I guess I can snap a pic then...

To install the bolt when you're trying to torque to 200 again, put it in the left hand hole and rotate clock-wise.

Lightyear
06-08-2011, 05:44
Thanks, gents!

JohnC - lefty loosey-rightey tightey, correct? My impact driver just isn't up to the task.

John8662 - Thanks, I'll pick up either a bigger impact driver or a 1/2" extension and cheater. Frustrating to be sooo close, and yet so far. really appreciate the help, lads. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers!

ronale
06-08-2011, 13:16
here is my solution, flat steel mounted to timing cover and harmonic balancer.
works fine.

Lightyear
06-08-2011, 16:40
Well, what's that old saying...the right tool for the right job? Invested in a new 580 lb-ft max impact driver, and the nut was off in about 5 seconds. Old balancer off, new one going on. But dummy me, I didn't note how far the balancer went onto the crank. Does it fit flush, or is there some gap between crank nose and balancer face?

racer55
06-09-2011, 15:19
The balancer should bottom out on the timing gear.

JohnC
06-09-2011, 18:31
There has to be a slight gap, otherwise the bolt won't hold it tight.

Lightyear
06-11-2011, 14:40
Got things all buttoned up, and the 'Burb is running great. Thanks, all, for the tips and tricks. I'd still be waist-deep in this project if not for you folks.

Cheers!!