PDA

View Full Version : Canopy or Hard shell tonneau cover

Enigma
05-31-2011, 21:44
Trying to decide? Any thoughts? Pros/cons?

http://www.snugtop.com/products/cab-hi.php

http://www.snugtop.com/products/snuglid.php?make_id=1

EdHale
06-01-2011, 03:51
I have a roll up tonneau. I couldn't tow my 5'er with anything else or haul tall stuff when the B&W hitch is removed. And the tonneau protects the hitch when it is in the bed.

More Power
06-01-2011, 10:40
Through the years I've had an aluminum topper, a Pace Edwards roll tonneau cover and a flush mount CheckMate fiberglass tonneau.

For appearance, the fiberglass paint-to match tonneau is hard to beat. It can also be removed in about a minute with no loss of bed space. With the optional cover and tailgate locks, it's as secure as they can be. I have this on Lil Red. Love it... I paid $350 plus a small delivery fee. They are available in black or white, but can be painted to match your truck.

The Pace Edwards roll-top tonneau I have on my 2001 is.... finicky, fragile and consumes some bed space. And, after 9 years needs to be replaced. I paid $600+ installation for it. It can't be easily removed to haul stuff that requires the complete bed of the truck.

A topper is very useful for hauling bigger stuff that needs to be protected from the elements and/or theft, or even light camping. But, it hampers visibility and some don't like the look. Hard to get on/off...

My next tonneau will be a vinyl roll cover. Cheap to buy or replace, easy to install, and they look more or less as nice as the more expensive and perhaps less practical roll tops, like the Pace Edwards.

Jim

NutNbutGMC
06-05-2011, 15:15
Frameless windows would be a recommendation.

rapidoxidationman
06-06-2011, 15:04
I like my cap (high top) cuz I have a truck full of tools. The downside is the visibility as somebody noted, and the fact that it costs a couple or 3 MPG. A tonneau cover might give you a small boost in mpg due to better aerodynamics.

tufcj
06-07-2011, 11:03
I had an ARE fiberglass tonneau on my '03. Biggest problem I had was that anything over about 18" tall in the bed, the cover had to stay partially open or be removed. I've been much happier with the full shell. My shell is matched to body color from Glasstite.

Bob
tufcj