PDA

View Full Version : Falken Rocky Mountain 265/70R17

wylie1
05-29-2011, 10:52
Just put these on the stock LBZ today. Fill the wheel well much better, but I'm concerned about the lack of mention in this thread about 17" rims...think these tires will be okay? Replaced the OEM 245's. According to Discount Tire they were a suitable replacement however, I did notice a rub (barely) off the front skirt backing up while in a turn...I'm bone stock 06 LBZ with 47K miles.

Appreciate any opinions

wylie1
05-29-2011, 13:18
The way I am figuring it is that the new tires are only 70% of the new height (265) versus 75% of the old height of 245...seems I should be okay. Love the new tires but am having second thoughts...I REALLY want to keep them.

Any thoughts?

wylie1
05-29-2011, 17:53
Just returned from store. Rubbing (just barely) on turns.

Would a TB adjustment fix this my lifting the front end a 1/2"? Think thats all I need. Can't do a lift because my MPGs are pretty respectable right now (17 MPG with 245's) and I tow a trailer a lot.

If a TB won't work, might have to downsize tires to a 16" rim :-(

Thoughts? Anyone?

More Power
05-31-2011, 09:37
People have been trimming the wheel-well for many years to get a bigger tire to fit. Trimming is necessary "if" not trimming would result in damage to the fender-related body parts. If damage is not a possibility, a little light rubbing with the steering wheel cranked right/left shouldn't be a problem.

Otherwise, if the truck handles and drives fine, the larger tires are also fine. Generally, we need to run more air pressure in larger tires than you might have to with smaller tires to maintain handling.

Lastly, I don't know if GM has changed its policy, but for most of the 2000's, they could use a non-stock tire size as an argument for avoiding warranty service on drivetrain related repairs, and some tire stores wouldn't install non-stock size tired because they could be held responsible for warranty repairs if they installed non-stock size tires (CostCo, for example).

Jim