PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Member Leaks

torque
05-10-2011, 19:47
I'd like to know if any folks besides me have had this problem. I have an '07 LBZ and today I found out I going to get my second 3rd member housing replacement (on warranty).
At ~ 20K miles, the driver's side axle housing, where it's pressed into the differential housing, leaked and it was replaced. Now, at 35K, I have the same problem and I'm going to get another housing.
The housing to be replaced consists of the differential housing and the 2 axle housings which are pressed into it. So, when it leaks, the old axles and the differential gears have to be pulled and stuffed into the new housing assembly which comes from G.M. ( the dealer doesn't assemble the housing).
I pull a 12K lbs 5th wheel (not since last Aug). I'm retired, so my truck isn't a daily driver.
If anyone else has this problem, pls reply.

More Power
05-11-2011, 13:37
WHat's your trailer pin weight, and what type of roads do you drive on? Just trying to determine whether a high pin weight and rough roads could be a contributing factor....

JIm

Heartbeat Hauler
05-11-2011, 16:32
I wonder if you could convince the dealership to let a certified welder run a bead around each of the axle housings where they go into the diffrential housing? It just seems like a lot of hassle to keep replacing the 3rd member, and the potential for the gears/bearings to fail if not installed properly. Of course if you get the housings for free under warranty why mess with the process.

torque
05-18-2011, 10:57
Thanks for the replies. My pin wt is 2000#, as verified at a scale. The roads out here in So Cal suck. They have been pounded to pieces by all the semi traffic and if you pull a trailer here, you and those semi's have to stay in the same rt lanes. But, I haven't pulled my trailer for 8 mos. and I'm not the only trailer hauler out here, but maybe the only one with this problem.
This time the fix is a warranty. But, the warranty runs out in Sept - - -.

DmaxMaverick
05-18-2011, 11:22
There's more to this than what you/they know, or have been told (by the dealer). This doesn't happen. Once, not so suspicious. Twice, the odds are astronomical. If they are replacing only the housing, and it's happened again, the problem isn't the housing. You should settle for no less than a complete replacement, wheel to wheel. Also, demand an extended warranty on the axle before the warranty runs out (this is NOT an uncommon policy).

I have seen several of these trucks abused so far beyond what you describe, and the drivetrain, including axles, are the first thing to get praise. If logging and construction companies can't destroy them, neither can you. SoCal roads are absolutely horrible, but nothing about them will destroy this axle. You are hauling a moderate load (comparatively), on the same roads used by the rest of us. A piece of this puzzle is missing.