PDA

View Full Version : engine smoking after idling

Horse_gal_jen
05-04-2011, 10:47
I have a 2001 6.6 duramax that has recently started to smoke and smell like an old detroit after sitting idling for a few minutes. I have changed the oil and air filter and neither worked. Is there anything I can do or a sensor that might be done. The injectors were replaced about 100 k ago, hoping its not that. any help would be appreciated.

Mark Rinker
05-05-2011, 15:29
I'll hope with you, but the reality is that injectors are the likely culprit.

Before you dig into the root cause and know too much, I'd search for a GM dealership with a used LBZ Duramax that you can afford on the lot, preferably with <80K miles on the clock.

Let them test drive your truck, kick the tires, and determine what they are willing to put into it for trade. Take the the ~4K you'll likely spend on injectors soon, and use it as a downpayment to get into a new truck.

Time to move on...its a 2001 LB7, and you've dumped enough into this one, based on your previous posts.

Time to cut and run - a fresh horse.

More Power
05-10-2011, 12:18
Mark makes a good point, but buying a used truck is not without risk. If you were to pay for another set of injectors installed correctly, you'd have a better idea what you've got.

Jim

Heartbeat Hauler
05-11-2011, 16:22
I have the same issue going on, and the dealer says they read a P0265 DTC. This tells me that injector number 2 is having an issue. Now this issue can be anything from a stuck injector, clogged injector line, or the injector is on its deathbed. So, maybe have your truck scanned to see if there are any codes and have the balanced rates checked. This can give you a good idea what's up. I have promised the Mrs. that this truck I have is a my 20-year truck. I bought it new in May of '01 so I have another 10 years to go...:D

I'll most likely replace my injectors.

chrisinkanata
05-23-2011, 13:52
Same issue on my '02 D/A. Make sure you get it diagnosed properly - don't jump to conclusions I guess is what I'm cautioning...I was all set to replace injectors because of the heavy exhaust haze at idle. But, turns out it was the result of a wonky fuel pressure regulator. Replaced and all good now.

Chris

Heartbeat Hauler
06-01-2011, 17:47
Same issue on my '02 D/A. Make sure you get it diagnosed properly - don't jump to conclusions I guess is what I'm cautioning...I was all set to replace injectors because of the heavy exhaust haze at idle. But, turns out it was the result of a wonky fuel pressure regulator. Replaced and all good now.

Chris

That's a handy piece of info Chris, as I am also noticing some surging at low speed/idle. One poster on another forum suggested running a quart of 2-stroke T-c3w (?) oil. This cleared up the FPR issue for him. I'm not sure it will work for me as I run the Stanadyne Performance and Lubricity Formula all the time. Seems like these two products would lube the system, but hey I'm gonna try it next fill up.

chrisinkanata
06-09-2011, 13:23
As stated, the FPR regulator was replaced for a SIZABLE chunck of change. The truck runs much more smoothly, starts better and just sounds better so I have no doubt it needed the FPR. But, early last week, sitting at a traffic light and sure enough, I notice it's smoking again. Back to the dealer and the balance rate on one injector is borderline. Trying to work through that now.

Chris

Heartbeat Hauler
06-09-2011, 16:05
As stated, the FPR regulator was replaced for a SIZABLE chunck of change. The truck runs much more smoothly, starts better and just sounds better so I have no doubt it needed the FPR. But, early last week, sitting at a traffic light and sure enough, I notice it's smoking again. Back to the dealer and the balance rate on one injector is borderline. Trying to work through that now.

Chris

Bummer. How border line is it? And, are you noticing any loss of fuel mileage?

DickWells
06-10-2011, 14:34
I hate to say it, but it looks a lot like new injectors in your near future. From bitter experience, I can say that it doesn't pay to push on very far, once the smoking at idle starts. It was just over a year ago that my Sierra started smoking, out in OR, and I had every opportunity to scoot on over to Longview, WA and have it checked out at the same outfit that did it under warrantee in 07, but no, I took a chance and got clear to lower NY before the thing gave out, and it cost me over four grand, plus a lot of arguing with a bum dealer, before I took it to a good free-lancer. Tlhat dealer was going to hit me with $6300.00! Wanted to charge me over $500 for "special" gaskets. :mad: The guy who did the job charged me a little over $5 for a small gasket and some gasket compound. LB7's don't need much in the way of gaskets, when replacing the injectors.

For sure, you should get checked out to make sure of what you really do need. A hundred or so, at a dealers, for researching you problem could save you a bunch.

If anybody is down near Corning, NY, and needs DM work done, I'll be more than happy to give you both the names of the "Bad Guys" and the "Good Guys" down there.