PDA

View Full Version : DSG timing gears and recomended TDC?

triggerman
01-26-2004, 21:53
By this spring, I will have a year (5K) on the timing gear set from DSG. Today I had a Dealer check the timing and it is set at 3.5 and -1.85 TDC which is a recomended setting. My problem with this, is what seems to me to be considerably more piston clatter even after the engine reaches full operating temp. The PCM management of the TDC offset appears to be working OK since the "cold" heavy clatter slowly quiets down to this "normal" level once hot. The engine starts fair and runs OK but all that extra clatter almost makes me feel like I have that DI 6.5 under the hood that I'v dreamed about. Any way, I called the tech at DSG and he said the gears them selves would make some extra noise but that -1.85 setting should be about the same as it was factory. Since they cut the gears with a 2 degree advance over the factory gear/chain araingment. I'm on the verg of having the TDC reset to -1.50 to see if I can get rid of the extra clatter. Has any one been through this with their gear set ? Oh, I did put new injectors in a couple of months ago that got rid of a slight knock and they gave improved throttle responce and smoother operation overall. Thanks in advance to all who might have a word on this.

Barry Nave
01-27-2004, 02:21
3 years and running. TDC-1.75
-1.85 is a little strong yet my truck sounds as your saying, like a DI eng. :D
-1.75 is good on 95-94
above that your fine. JK as went as far as -2.something ;)

triggerman
02-20-2004, 21:36
As a follow up, I had the timing set to -1.67 and I'v been running it for a few days. The change in clatter is almost un noticeable. The engine does turn over easier before it starts and seems to run just as strong as before. Just FYI, the 2 degree advance that is built into the reluctor wheel from DSG WILL make your engine louder with piston clatter. This small detail seems to have never been made here before when the Phazer gear set was discused earlier. It's a good system, but folks do like to praise the IDI engines for their muted running clatter.

kowsoc
02-21-2004, 07:09
Do you use a fuel additive? I've tried a bunch of brands. If you want your 6.5 to run quietly then the "Howes Meaner Cleaner" is the best one. I would say it cuts the diesel knock in 1/2.....Wife likes when I use it. ;)

The others with cetane boosters do make the engine quieter but also add a "crisper" high frequency ring. They do give more power and less smoke though. The Meaner Cleaner is the quietest, I have found, and will give you 5% better fuel economy (pays for itself twice as advertised). I'm not a salesman but like I said I've tried a lot of additives and run them all the time. Just my honest .02 smile.gif

kowsoc
02-21-2004, 07:13
I forgot to add that my offset is -1.85 and I do not have the gear set. But I would not run without additives anymore.....the engine definitely has more rattle without them.

triggerman
02-21-2004, 08:21
Kowsoc
I run the basic Power Service stuff and have never noticed a sound differance.Also used Stanadyne with no noticable differance. I'v never seen Howes Meaner Cleaner but it sounds like its worth a try. I'll see if I can find some on the web and if it works for me, I'll post my thoughts on it here also. Thanks

Barry Nave
02-22-2004, 12:17
Once I had installed the DSG Gear the timing was at Factory spec. Sounded the same as before and even after the TDC was set the rattle was only a little more. After several restarts is when the clatter started to increase. JK confermed this would be so.
? is, could I go for more, or less as it's - , or leave well alone.
If so, could this help the black smoke under power? I have a number of power add on's :D