PDA

View Full Version : Normal? Max 10-11 PSI Boost?

AndyL
05-12-2004, 03:05
With my turbo master cranked all the way my max boost is about 10-11 PSI. Just not enough fuel to spin the turbo any faster? I get almost no smoke.

I have checked all the normal, fuel/air filter, lift pump is working, no codes.

Turbine Doc
05-12-2004, 09:57
Andy,
Check with Bill make sure you have the HD spring, also I could not make over 12psi boost with the TM only; I needed the Kennedy control to fake out factory PCM. After adding the Heath latest version reflash, now I can easily hit 15 with TM only; if I hit it hard on accel demand.

From my experience with back pressure; 15psi is just a number, above 12 psi or so BP negates percieved gains of +12 boost, looks cool though on the gauge, but on my ride I don't feel much if any difference between acceleration at 15 vs 12 psi.

Running with boost that high you need gauges now if you don't have them; and IC or WMI

AndyL
05-12-2004, 10:28
Thanks, I have talked with Bill and also have the new ECM reflash. He suggested doing the TDC offset learn:

Ign On, pedal to the floor for 45 seconds, pedal up and Ing off, wait 30 seconds then start. It should work as long as the engine temp is above 170.

But, I still have the same problem, any ideas? At full throttle I get very little to no smoke. How did the ECM reflash feel to you?

gmctd
05-12-2004, 17:22
Try it with your car on the hauler, at hiway speeds, 4rth\over - nail it so as not to downshift, get EGT's up some.

Heat adds a lot of exhaust energy to volume.

Do this early morning while it's cool so IAT is low, below 150.

As Tim sez, time for gages\charge air cooler\, or chargeair cooler\gages.

Turbine Doc
05-12-2004, 19:09
Andy,
I am very pleased with my reflash crisper accel, no boost cut back, 81.6 mm max fuel, crisper trans shifts. I did find I had a bad Boost sensor caused boost cut back to 0 between 3&4 gear shift swapped for new no more cut back.

I went thru 3 versions of it before getting to the latest one, each one a little better than before. I also have Kennedy hi-pops, are you IC or WMI, what is your IAT that limiter is still active with the reflash I think, if IAT is hi I suspect PCM may be defueling to control it check with Bill.

Do you know what your current offset is, mine is a -1.5, even with the key on key off you still need to adjust IP to change setting.

From my 98 manual H20 >170F, clear all DTCs turn ign on engine off, APP to floor for 45sec then release then key off 30 sec, then start. mine stumbled but then settled out . If TDC not at desired setting, shutdown & rotate IP. toward pass side + offset, toward driver - offset. only move a little 1mm = 2deg of timing

AndyL
05-13-2004, 03:03
I do have gauges, no IC or WMI. I was hoping for a very noticable difference in Stop light to Stop light feel, maybe I will only see it towing (I guess then I will be held up against IAT). My timing is currently at -1.06 before the ECM swap.

JoeyD
05-13-2004, 12:03
I have Bills ECM in and it will hit 14psi thats with out the tubo master. It holds the boost up and will only drop to 11 when the revs get up.
I am not impressed with the power gains. I guess I was hoping for more. It has some but not a great deal. Shifts are great though, firm like they should be.

JohnC
05-13-2004, 13:54
You're either gonna laugh or you'll think I'm full of bull, but...

I had Kennedy's hottest chip 2 years ago. There was a REAL noticable difference in stop light to stop light performance. It was pretty amazing. :eek: So much so that I traded it in for a more practical version. See, I'm one of those guys who occasionally ignores warnings and presses on....

He didn't have a name for it back then, but if you contact him and ask for the chip that JC had and gave back, he'll know what you're talking about :cool:

JoeyD
05-13-2004, 16:11
I read a post from JK a week or so ago and he said he has a reflash coming out soon with some added things to it over whats currently available. I think my biggest issue is lack of intercooling. I have Bills water kit but the tank space has been taken over by needed items so I need to come up with something different. I run a plow so JK's intercooler is out of the question.

AndyL
05-14-2004, 03:46
Joey D,

I am also working to come up with a different IC installation, the skid plate kit is no good for me either.

I think my first try will be between the radiator and AC condenser. If I remove the support rods there may be enough room.

AndyL
05-14-2004, 03:51
Originally posted by tbogemirep:
Andy,
Check with Bill make sure you have the HD spring, also I could not make over 12psi boost with the TM only; I needed the Kennedy control to fake out factory PCM. After adding the Heath latest version reflash, now I can easily hit 15 with TM only; if I hit it hard on accel demand.
Even with the L65 PCM you still had to fake out the boost signal? Did the PCM see too much boost and de-fuel?