PDA

View Full Version : Removing PMD

Craig M
03-05-2004, 09:34
Most of you have added the cooler for the PMD. Is their an easy way to salvage the existing PDM. One post says you have to remove the intake manifold to get to and remove the PMD from the side of the injector pump (and maybe turn the injector). Anyone have an easier way to remove the PMD? My PMD is new so do not need to buy another.

spra01
03-05-2004, 12:28
I made a rather crude tool to remove and reinstall the PMD without removing the intake manifold or moving the pump. With this tool it took me about 20 min to remove, and about the same to reinstall.
The tool consists of about 1/4" cut off the working end of a torqs bit welded to a 1/4"x 1/16" x 3" metal stock. Using snug vise grips on the end allowed me to articulate the tool in the tightest spots.

chevytuff
03-05-2004, 15:53
i went to oreilly's and bought one of the cheap all steel torx screw drivers cut off the head at an angle and rewelded it and ground it down for proper clearance which there is not much of, if you want send me an email at jrolland@charter.net and I will send you some pics of it.

gmctd
03-05-2004, 17:28
I shortened a 1/4" shank torx bit, used a 1/4" box-open ignition wrench on the lower front screw.
Used a single-direction wratchet handle (flip it over for opposite direction) with the short torx on the other three.

Craig M
03-08-2004, 06:53
Thanks guys. Looks like all three of you had similar methods for taking it off. Will make a tool similar to what you have described for the removal. This is one of the good things about this forum. Lean from others!

Kennedy
03-08-2004, 07:29
Be sure to "recut" the plastic seating area as the OE screws deform it severely. This deformation will compress over time relaxing clamping force.