PDA

View Full Version : 1993 6.2 truck

1972gsx
04-22-2011, 17:27
Hello everybody, I happened to find a 1993 chevy dually with the 6.2L diesel for sale local. The only problem is that the truck has been sitting for two years. Is there anything that I should look out for when I go to take a look at this truck. I am pretty much set on buying it right now, but if anybody has some pointers I would really appreciate it.

I have been doing some reading on the forums, and will continue to do so.

Robyn
04-23-2011, 07:39
Hello and welcome to TDP :)

Just check the thing out like any other truck deal.

Check coolant level, engine oil level and such

If it will start, watch the oil pressure and allow the engine to warm up.

Pay attention to the temp gauge and check the top radiator hose often as it warms up to see if it gets HARD

A condition of high pressure in the cooling system means a leaky head gasket, cracked head or ??

If these things check out, once the engine is warm, remove the oil fill cap and see what sort of blowby is present.

A small amount of vapor is normal.

Engine should run smooth with a light diesel cackle to it.
The exhaust pipe should show clean with no visible smoke except when romped hard, then you may see some black "Poof" out.

Look for visible signs of oil leaks, coolant leaks, fuel leaks.

Check it out and let us know whatcha find.

Missy

1972gsx
04-23-2011, 07:58
Hello and welcome to TDP :)

Just check the thing out like any other truck deal.

Check coolant level, engine oil level and such

If it will start, watch the oil pressure and allow the engine to warm up.

Pay attention to the temp gauge and check the top radiator hose often as it warms up to see if it gets HARD

A condition of high pressure in the cooling system means a leaky head gasket, cracked head or ??

If these things check out, once the engine is warm, remove the oil fill cap and see what sort of blowby is present.

A small amount of vapor is normal.

Engine should run smooth with a light diesel cackle to it.
The exhaust pipe should show clean with no visible smoke except when romped hard, then you may see some black "Poof" out.

Look for visible signs of oil leaks, coolant leaks, fuel leaks.

Check it out and let us know whatcha find.

Missy

Thanks for the welcome. I will keep yall updated about the truck. But so far it seems like a great find.

1972gsx
04-23-2011, 18:44
Well this is pretty good news, I called the guy and I am going to go take a look at the truck tomorrow. Turns out the truck is the 6.5 turbo diesel instead of the 6.2. It was parked two years ago because the owner bought a new truck and did not need this one anymore. It is a special edition I think he said heartbeat of america or something like that so it has a fancy paintjob. I am really excited about going to hopefully buy myself a new truck!