PDA

View Full Version : Brake Controller

gimpyhauler
04-22-2011, 13:43
I have an '07 GMC, Sierra Classic, 2500HD, 4x4, CC, LB, 162,000 miles. Bully Dog GT installed.

We want to go on vacation to Canada towing a rental travel trailer for my family of 4.

I need a break controller. Any suggestions? I'm not looking for cheap, just a good, adjustable controller.

Help?:cool:

87max
04-23-2011, 18:50
I've been using a tekonsha for over 10 years, no issues in its 3rd vehicle now. I think I paid 70 bucks back then.

JohnC
04-24-2011, 18:18
My wife controls the breaks. For the trailer, I second "Teconsha" Prodigy.

Enigma
04-24-2011, 19:13
My wife controls the breaks. For the trailer, I second "Teconsha" Prodigy.

^^^^ x2, have had good luck with the prodigy

More Power
05-04-2011, 12:38
I've had a Draw-Tite Activator Electronic Brake Control - #5100 on my 2001 since 2001. Easy to install, has worked well. Current pricing is about $70.

The GM trucks (those equipped with a towing package) came with a wiring pigtail that can be used to make the connection between an electronic brake controller and the truck wiring. The trailer brake pigtail plugs into the electrical center panel near your left foot (when seated in the driver's seat). The blue wire on the controller connects to the large dark blue wire on the GM pigtail. The controller black wire connects to the large red wire on the GM pigtail. The red controller wire connects to the small light-blue pigtail wire. And finally, the controller white wire connects to the small black wire on the GM pigtail.

The GM pigtail also includes a brown wire, which can be used to power a night-time illumination lamp, if your controller is equipped with a lamp. In my case, I used that brown wire to power the lamps for my EGT and boost gauge.

There was a 40 amp B+ Trailering Maxi-fuse taped to the GM brake controller pigtail. The electrical panel under the hood, over the driver's side fender, is where this fuse will be inserted.

Draw-Tite, Inc.
40400 Van Born Road
Canton, MI 48188
www.draw-tite.com (http://www.draw-tite.com/)
Their web site includes a Dealer locator, along with some additional towing setup information.

JohnC
05-04-2011, 15:26
These new trucks have so many sensors and so much computing power they should be able to evaluate braking action and apply the trailer brakes as necessary to get the desired result.

Mark Rinker
05-05-2011, 14:20
I have a Prodigy P2 digital controller (http://www.dyersonline.com/tekonsha-prodigy-p2-brake-control.html?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=bingshopping)around here somewhere that is no longer needed, as my 2009 K3500 has a built in factory brake controller that seems to work fine.

I'll sell it for $60 with free shipping anywhere in the lower 48 US if interested, send me your email address via private message. Has the modular GM style plug that should be a ~15 minute install into your truck.

Mark Rinker
05-05-2011, 14:24
These new trucks have so many sensors and so much computing power they should be able to evaluate braking action and apply the trailer brakes as necessary to get the desired result.

Essentially, that is what my 2009 has. The Prodigy is based on inertia, which seems to work very well. The GM factory unit appears to sense brake line pressure, and set the voltage relative to that. (i.e. even sitting still, the harder you press on the brake pedal, the more bars of braking force you see on the dash.)

Ideally, some hybrid of those two approaches would be nice...i.e...even if I am not slowing down really fast (braking downhill and heavy), if I have my foot through the floor, it means I want 100% braking!!! ;) Conversely, even if I am slowing down fast while only feathering the brakes pedal (braking on uphill grade), then let the trailer brakes release.

I have too many hours to sit and ponder these things...LOL