PDA

View Full Version : 1990 v2500 suburban Racor filter question

darkroad
04-22-2011, 09:00
I have two 400 series racor filters and can use either the 45 or 60 series filter depending on clearance issues. My question is I have an add on banks turbo kit that doesn't leave much room on the inside of the frame rail for my filter between the tank and lift pump. Does this filter need to be at fuel level or can I mount it higher up, like maybe on the inner fender or both of them where the stock push on filter is. Should I worry about the heat and the plastic drain bowl? I want to use a 10 micron for first and 2 micron for second. I would like to use 60 series for the 2 micron as it should take a lot longer to clog up than a 45 series 2 micron. I saw a pic with two mounted where the stock one was. Will the lift pump pull fuel up to the filter mounted that high? Or should I rig a mount outside the rail with a gravel guard for the plastic bowl on the bottom. Have access to machine shop so can fab brackets, stainless rock guards etc. Also I know this is controversial but I am running a wmo mixture that I am heating in a open top barrel to 200 degrees to remove water, then when cool running through a WVO centrifuge to get the particles down to the 1-2 micron level. usually run between 10 to 30 % depending on temps.

Thanks for helping.

Phil
Darkroad

raunch
04-25-2011, 11:46
My Racor is mounted with the stock primary on an '83. Different filter than yours but same location (I think). There have been no heat issues with the plastic bowl on the bottom. I am guessing that the bowl is 6-8" from the exhaust header.