PDA

View Full Version : Venture M-9000-PK Landing gear box

bsldallas
04-13-2011, 18:14
5th wheel front jack motor. The little gear box (plastic) is stripped out. I tried to put a bushing in it. Just isn't working. About $300.00+++ to replace. Bought 1 (website new p/u local) it doesn't work I hope to get a refund. I thought about shaving down the casing to keep the gears a little tigher in the box. Any tricks or info. would be appreciated. Thanks.

arveetek
04-15-2011, 06:25
The plastic gearbox that the Venture motor bolts to should be pretty cheap, around $30 to $40. If you can't find one, PM me and I can help you out.

Here's the company's website:

http://www.venturemfgco.com/rv-landing-gear-and-accessories.html

Casey

bsldallas
04-15-2011, 12:13
Are you speaking of the reduction box that the motor assembly bolts to? or the gear box assembly.
thanks

arveetek
04-18-2011, 06:26
Are you speaking of the reduction box that the motor assembly bolts to? or the gear box assembly.
thanks

The plastic gear reduction box that the motor bolts to. That's the only gear box assembly I'm aware of. Then there are two metal gears on the top of each jack. Those gears are available as a kit, should retail for around $50 for each leg and includes two gears, a drive shaft pin, and bushings.

Are you talking about the gear case that is part of the motor itself? If so, that is not available separately from the motor. You have to purchase a new motor. Most dealerships stock only the Atwood brand motor that is over $300. Venture is a copy of Atwood, and you should be able to find a Venture motor for around a $100.

Casey

bsldallas
04-18-2011, 06:56
I replaced the motor assembly, when extending the legs it starts to click. Like the clutch is stopping the motor from lifting. I was just wondering if the gear reduction box (plastic) is dragging or if the legs are dragging (ie not greased, bearing worn, rust on screw assembly, ect...). When I manually extend the legs it is very jerky,tight and hard. I was just concerned about the drag when using if that is the problem (working the motor to hard, kicking the clutch out: like raised all the way up click, click, click...). Almost like turning a rusted bolt tight when you know it should turn with less resistance. The motor is a Venture, the reduction box is a Fulton, the legs have Fulton on the top cap. All other RVs that I've raised over the years manually seemed much easier to turn. The unit is 8 years old now. The dealer didn't give any info. on the landing gear, books on everything else. Just shooting in the dark would it be wise to drop the legs to rebuild them or replace the gear reduction box? Thanks in advance.
Brad.

arveetek
04-19-2011, 06:13
I doubt it's the plastic gear reduction housing. What I would do is remove the motor and try cranking by hand (this will take the motor out of the equation). If it's still hard to turn, disconnect the driveshaft that goes from one jack leg to the other, and see what happens. If it's easy, then you know the problem lies in the driven leg that was disconnected. If it's still hard, then you know the problem is in the drive leg that has the gear box. You might have a bent leg.

Casey

bsldallas
04-19-2011, 18:44
I got it narrowed down to the drive leg. Did the above and the drive leg still has drag. Curbside I could turn down by hand smooth. Replaced the motor (driveshaft out) worked somewhat but still drag. So I guess I'll r&r the legs. May put a double drive on for poops and giggles. Casey do you have a replacement that you can recommend or stay with what is in there?
TY

arveetek
04-20-2011, 08:38
I think the original designer, Atwood, has a pretty good product. The copy cats like Venture seem to be a bit weaker and have more issues.

Ultra Fab makes a dual-motor system with 12K capacity that seems to be a pretty nice product for the price. We've installed a few of these and haven't had any issues with them yet.

Casey

bsldallas
04-20-2011, 10:11
Thanks man, I've seen the Atwood and the Ultra Fab. Seemed like good money on the UF but I can't find the spec. to see if they will bolt on. Mine has the tabs 17.5" apart. The 12k sounds good, better to have over kill than under. I'll surf the net for spec's and leave a follow up.

bsldallas
04-20-2011, 17:08
Well went out to hook the camper up and...................:eek: the drive leg broke. The wife was retracting the legs and pop then she rocked. Then the wife I think almost poopped her pants. So I think replacement is in the near future. Really don't won't to rebuild. I want a fresh start. Oh the truck was under the unit nothing/anyone got hurt just shook her up.

arveetek
04-21-2011, 06:44
Well went out to hook the camper up and...................:eek: the drive leg broke. The wife was retracting the legs and pop then she rocked. Then the wife I think almost poopped her pants. So I think replacement is in the near future. Really don't won't to rebuild. I want a fresh start. Oh the truck was under the unit nothing/anyone got hurt just shook her up.

VERY unusual for a leg to break like that! Normally they will fail in such a way that they will still support the weight, but won't retract/extend. There is a large worm gear inside with a nut welded at the top. That nut must have come loose, allowing the leg to move at whim.

Here are the install instructions for the UF jacks:

http://manage.ultra-fabproducts.com/images/pdfs/17-9430101.pdf

Unfortunately, they don't list the distances on the mounting tabs. However, we just installed a set a couple of weeks ago, and they went right in place of the Venture legs we took out.

Casey

bsldallas
04-22-2011, 19:39
Casey, thank you again. I spoke with Venture today $250.00 a set plus shipping (lead+follow+gear box). The legs are Fulton they don't make them anymore. Wierd with the parts Fulton, Lippert, Venture. 8K pound set specs are almost to the T. Just one from the top mounting tab to the top. I have the room needed. If not I got a torch + welder to fab up. The Ultra-Fab are a little to tall without fab. Knowbody stocks landing gear. I'm outside of Charlotte, N.C. and there is none to be purchased over the counter. But I tore down the broken leg. The jack nut stripped out. I heated the metal and bent it out. The jack screw just pulled up and down to the stop... With that said I'll r&r both matching. I'm also going to drill some holes in the new ones to shoot grease (w/needle tip) into them every so often I'll cover the holes w/DUCT tape. Any fittings would get cut off unless I placed near top. Venture told me that 2003 was about the time Fulton pulled out and Venture stepped in. I don't know if that is so. I do know I couldn't find anything on Fulton leges (5th wheel).

Here is the link to the Ultra-Fab specs. http://manage.ultra-fabproducts.com/images/faqs/5thwheeljackdimensions.pdf

bsldallas
04-27-2011, 19:16
Ordered a set of Venture landing gear. Direct fit to the old Fulton legs. Make a long story short for about $293.00 to the front door (3-days). 1-hour to install everything is okay. That was for lead + follow + gear box.

arveetek
04-28-2011, 07:09
Ordered a set of Venture landing gear. Direct fit to the old Fulton legs. Make a long story short for about $293.00 to the front door (3-days). 1-hour to install everything is okay. That was for lead + follow + gear box.

Glad to hear you got the problem resolved!!