PDA

View Full Version : Running 2005 duramax without Allison transmission.

jet471
03-29-2011, 09:53
Has anyone run a duramax without an Allison transmission?
What will it take to make the ecm work?

Thanks for any input,

Josh

More Power
03-29-2011, 10:11
The Duramax 6600 has been run with a 4L80-E automatic and the ZF 6-speed manual transmission.

If you want to use a different transmission, use the engine programming produced for one that was equipped with the ZF.

Jim

jet471
03-29-2011, 11:37
Thanks for the reply Jim.

Would you give me a little more advice? To use the programming for the 6 speed, would you: 1. Buy a tuner and the code 2. Find an ecm out of a 6 speed truck. 3. Send the ecm somewhere to be tuned. 4. Any other better alternatives?

Thanks,

Josh

More Power
03-29-2011, 13:05
Thanks for the reply Jim.

Would you give me a little more advice? To use the programming for the 6 speed, would you: 1. Buy a tuner and the code 2. Find an ecm out of a 6 speed truck. 3. Send the ecm somewhere to be tuned. 4. Any other better alternatives?

Thanks,

Josh

Josh,

The simplest (though not necessarily easiest) way would be to locate an ECM that went with a ZF equipped truck. Not many manual equipped trucks were produced, so it may be a long search. If you have a VIN number for a ZF equipped truck, you could have your local GM dealer reprogram a same-year ECM to match. Failing that, someone with an EFI-Live programmer may be able to help. Most things related to programming can be altered using the EFI-Live. If you consider that path, contact John at www.kennedydiesel.com (http://www.kennedydiesel.com) about his programming services.

Also, the folks at www.pacificp.com (http://www.pacificp.com) (PPE) have installed the Duramax in a range of vehicles using non-standard transmissions. They even have a stand-alone electrical/electronic kit to do it (not necessarily cheap though). While I haven't spoken to them about it, they may have experience in programming for different transmssions.

Jim