PDA

View Full Version : Chipped windshield repair

sturgeon-phish
05-10-2004, 21:00
An airborne rock left a quarter size divot in my winshield and I was wondering if any of you have used the windshield repair stuff instead of replacing the winshield and your opinions.
Thanks
Jim

Movin Air
05-11-2004, 05:57
Jim
Depending on the type of chip, A good glass man can repair your chip so that you will have to really look to find it. A spider chip is easier to see after repair than a bullseye chip. Your insurance provider will most likely cover the entire cost of the chip repair at no expense to you (they don't want to have to buy you a windshield). If the chip is in the black that borders your windshield get it fixed ASAP, when the heat hits the black the glass expands and they spread across your windshield in a hurry.

I would recommend getting it fixed, just tell your glass repair shop what you expect and if it doesn't meet your expectations you want to put in a new windshield. If your windshild is "pitted" from sand and other debris hitting it I would replace it. All those tiny little pits in the windshield magnify the sun glare and it is a world of difference looking through a new windshield.

I speak from experience, i worked several years in my dads automotive glass shop while attending college.

DennisG01
05-11-2004, 06:31
I did try the $10 fix-in-a-bottle from the auto store. Didn't work too well - actually it didn't look any different. Maybe I didn't do it right, but it ain't exactly rocket science and I followed the directions exactly. I had two 1/2" long cracks and I was worried about them cracking further when it started getting cold outside. The cracks are still there, but they did not spread.

MMayhem
05-13-2004, 12:58
Cheapest way: Krazy Glue spread around on both sides of the windsheild.
It worked to stop 3 knicks/cracks for me . . a good 5 years .. . then the cracks finally ran.

Also though, when I finally replaced it . . I found out that the insurance will pay for a windshield replacement without applying the deductible. Full Cost was re-imbursed.