PDA

View Full Version : How to make turbo pipes???

shoct3rd
02-28-2011, 20:11
What can be used to make connecting the tubo to intercooler/ intercooler to intake? I have access to an orbital welder and could make it out of stainless but that still leaves weld joints. I assume smoother is better and was wondering if something like ABS plastic could be heated and formed and would it take the pressure?

KallyI
02-28-2011, 21:10
Welcome to the forums. When I put my intercooler on, I asked the same question, and was informed that ABS/PVC would not stand potential higher temperatures that you might see in the summer, while towing. I went with stainless, but didn't weld, just used high temperature silicon rubber connectors. If you have a welder, go for it. The welds shouldn't make a large amount of difference in air flow.

shoct3rd
03-01-2011, 07:15
Thanks for the reply, now it's just a matter of making a template.

Robyn
03-01-2011, 08:09
Several places online sell turbo intercooler/chargecooler kits and tubing.

Aluminum tube will work fine for this, and along with the silicone connector hose you should be able to fashion a clean and neat setup.

Aluminum is easy to work with and light weight.

Take pics and keep us posted

Missy

suburbanK-2500HD
03-01-2011, 08:34
Thanks for the reply, now it's just a matter of making a template.

You could look at mine setup for a idea, are you going for a front mounted IC. ?

shoct3rd
03-03-2011, 10:25
Thanks again I have added photos to my album and will add more a I go as these are not good quality pics. I tried putting them in the reply but it said my file size was too large. I will look at pricing on the different hardware. I think I can get most of the plumbing at work. The connectors I will have to buy.