PDA

View Full Version : G-80 sticking

DaveNY
02-21-2011, 15:36
After a long run at Hwy speed my rear will be locked on occasion. Doesen't happen all the time but when it does a few turns and it unlockes with a noticable jerk,then operates normal. Including in the snow locks and unlocks normally. Have been suggested to change oil. I have put 110,000 on the truck and havent done it.
I dont know what to look for when I have the cover off,need a little education.
Dave

More Power
03-07-2011, 13:42
After a long run at Hwy speed my rear will be locked on occasion. Doesen't happen all the time but when it does a few turns and it unlockes with a noticable jerk,then operates normal. Including in the snow locks and unlocks normally. Have been suggested to change oil. I have put 110,000 on the truck and havent done it.
I dont know what to look for when I have the cover off,need a little education.
Dave

If the lube hasn't been changed in all those miles, expect to find some metal chips in the bottom of the pumpkin. That's normal. Fresh lube would be recommended for a first step. This'll also give you an opportunity to check the gears and bearings. Check the clutch pack in the G-80. I saw one once that was crushed, which put a lot of material into the lube, and wiped out the bearings. This was the result from spinning an unlocked G-80 with lots of power on ice - one rear tire on ice and one tire on dry pavement. When it locked, it locked forcefully - crushing the clutch pack.

Start by changing the lube.... I use synthetic.

Jim

DaveNY
03-09-2011, 14:13
Thanks Jim Its on the to do list soon.

DaveNY
05-03-2011, 23:53
Jim,
Changed fluid and gave it a couple of weeks,unit stopped acting up almost immediatly working great. Thanks, I guess I should be a little more dilligent on fluids and their service intervals!
Dave