PDA

View Full Version : Original injectors lasted 9 years/109,000 miles, what do you think?

pushpole
02-20-2011, 06:40
I'm trying to evaluate the cost vs. benefit of installing a lift pump/filter system on my 2002 LB7. As the title says, thats the life I got on my original injector set. I'm planning on staying stock on the power or maybe an economy tune when diesel goes and stays above 5.50 a gallon. So I'm thinking a single lift pump with max filtration down stream of the OE filter. I'm looking at the lift pump primarily to overcome the additional resistance to flow of the second filter. My personal data point is 9 years/109,000 miles life expectancy, are we seeing greater injector life expectancies with the additional filtration? I've been and will continue to be meticulous in the fluid/filter change maintenance. Thanx for your input.

pushpole
02-21-2011, 14:17
Found the sticky above.....Doooh!

More Power
03-03-2011, 18:26
I'm trying to evaluate the cost vs. benefit of installing a lift pump/filter system on my 2002 LB7. As the title says, thats the life I got on my original injector set. I'm planning on staying stock on the power or maybe an economy tune when diesel goes and stays above 5.50 a gallon. So I'm thinking a single lift pump with max filtration down stream of the OE filter. I'm looking at the lift pump primarily to overcome the additional resistance to flow of the second filter. My personal data point is 9 years/109,000 miles life expectancy, are we seeing greater injector life expectancies with the additional filtration? I've been and will continue to be meticulous in the fluid/filter change maintenance. Thanx for your input.

I've got 10+ years and 87,000 miles on my 2001's original injectors. About half those miles were with some sort of fuel treatment, stock filtration and no lift pump. I change filters about every 15k.

Secondary fuel filtration was a hot topic beginning some 8-9 years ago. My instincts are that if you've seen normal life from your fuel filters and haven't seen much in the way of crap and water, the single stock filter may be all you need. On the other hand if filters need to be replaced well before 15K miles, your fuel quality may not be what it should be, and additional filtration wouldn't be a bad idea.

Another school of thought is that additional filtration is a good choice for anyone - in the can't hurt category. Perhaps...but it's no guarantee.

Jim