PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter

MikeyB
02-05-2011, 16:28
Because of my fuel gelling issue I went to NAPA today to buy a new filter. It was plastic so I opted not to get it. The dealer was closed so I guess I'll have to wait a few days. Any experience with the new plastic filters? Maybe the're great. Don't know, just made me a bit uncomfortable. Are the new filters from the dealer plastic as well?

Thanks for any info,
Mike

I think it was a Baldwin or Wix, can't remember....

JohnC
02-05-2011, 19:08
It's Wix. Dunno if they are good or bad. I've been running one for a couple of months now with no disasters...

MikeyB
02-05-2011, 21:23
It's Wix. Dunno if they are good or bad. I've been running one for a couple of months now with no disasters...

Thanks, I am fairly certain your weather is usually much colder and severe than ours. Good to hear you have had no problems. Just didn't want to lay out the cash until I had some info. I fly a "plastic" airplane and much prefer metal!

Mike

Kennedy
02-06-2011, 08:13
It used to be that all Dmax fuel filters were the same with just a different name on them. That changed a couple of years back. While I have never cut open one of the plastic fantastic filters, common sense tells me that if the can is narrower, the media diameter must be smaller.

I won't use one as I get a lot of calls from people with instant issues (air etc) after changing their filter. I tell them to take that POS plastic thing off and they say how did you know???

I suppose I'll have to buy one and slice it open to see what is inside.

LanduytG
02-06-2011, 13:49
Racor came out with the latest version about a year ago. Its a true coalescing filter, meaning it traps water. Racor has a very good reputation and IMHO they are the only ones to use. Although they are made in China but so is about 99% of the other brands.

Greg

JohnC
02-07-2011, 09:56
I can walk to NAPA and I needed a filter... :o

ross1147
02-07-2011, 10:37
I personally haven't had any problems with the NAPA ones. I bought one of the plastic ones from Autozone and the water sensor wouldn't fit tightly into it. Thought I had it tight enough, but it came out while driving down the highway and that's where I stopped. I've searched all around town (San Diego) and can't seem to find any of the metal ones. Maybe I should look online? Good luck.

MikeyB
02-07-2011, 13:12
I personally haven't had any problems with the NAPA ones. I bought one of the plastic ones from Autozone and the water sensor wouldn't fit tightly into it. Thought I had it tight enough, but it came out while driving down the highway and that's where I stopped. I've searched all around town (San Diego) and can't seem to find any of the metal ones. Maybe I should look online? Good luck.

I have found the metal Baldwin filters online, eBay etc. for $26-35 each. I'll probably order a few to have some on hand.

Kennedy
02-07-2011, 14:44
Good filters. I have cut these open to verify teh integrity and they are very well built. We keep them in stock and offer individually or in 6 pk at a reduced price.

Heartbeat Hauler
02-07-2011, 17:31
I don't like the idea of palstic filters because then I couldn't use my FilterMag magnet on the plastic to suck up all those little metal killers floating around in the fuel.

EdHale
02-08-2011, 05:50
Are your stocked Baldwin filters still metal John? I'm almost ready to order some more from you.

I don't like the idea of plastic either.

Kennedy
02-08-2011, 07:26
Yes

I will not sell the plastic POS.

To many issues with sealing up the WIF, plus by looking at them there has to be something lacking inside.

I think I'll order one today and see what lurks inside.

MikeyB
02-08-2011, 08:04
Yes

I will not sell the plastic POS.

To many issues with sealing up the WIF, plus by looking at them there has to be something lacking inside.

I think I'll order one today and see what lurks inside.

I would be very interested in hearing the results!

Kennedy
02-08-2011, 12:43
It should be obvious by the shrunken OD of these plastic fantastic filters that they are inferior, but I had to see for myself. Now these are relatively unscientific findings and it may just have some miracle media, but there sure isn't much inside!

Wix/Carquest plastic fantastic:
Single layer media at 2.8" ODx 4.45"L with 62 pleats

Baldwin:

Dual layer media at 3.5" OD x 3.45" long with 125 pleats on the outer layer

The pleat depth is somewhat deeper, BUT it would have to be MUCH deeper to even match the outer layer and then there is no inner layer.

JohnC
02-08-2011, 15:29
A picture is worth a thousand words...

Kennedy
02-09-2011, 07:37
The Baldwin is built even better than I tought. It has a full perforated metal support between the layers. The Wix OD is a near match to the inner layer of the Baldwin which still has more pleats than the Wix. My cutting methods were crude (band saw) and the Baldwin that I cut was used so it smeared a bit, but the differences are quite apparent. If the Baldwin were to load up I can see no way it could ever collapse or separate like teh one that Mdrag had years back.

I have some pics that I could email you if you like. I've uploaded images to other sites, but they had a very simple interface on the front end.

MikeyB
02-09-2011, 07:46
The Baldwin is built even better than I tought. It has a full perforated metal support between the layers. The Wix OD is a near match to the inner layer of the Baldwin which still has more pleats than the Wix. My cutting methods were crude (band saw) and the Baldwin that I cut was used so it smeared a bit, but the differences are quite apparent. If the Baldwin were to load up I can see no way it could ever collapse or separate like teh one that Mdrag had years back.

I have some pics that I could email you if you like. I've uploaded images to other sites, but they had a very simple interface on the front end.

Thanks Kennedy. I have some Baldwin's on order. Makes me feel better I didn't opt for the plastic housing filter.

JohnC
02-09-2011, 09:16
JK:

Please send me the photos! If you want, I'll post them here for you. I'll drop you an e-mail so you don't have to search for my address!

Thanks,
JohnC

Kennedy
02-09-2011, 12:01
Pics sent although I don't think they do justice.