PDA

View Full Version : Engine hour meter resets to zero?

Mark Rinker
02-04-2011, 07:41
Yesterday I noticed that my engine hour meter had reset to zero. It now had only 2.5hrs on it, indicating that the reset coincided with that morning's unusual cold start.

For some reason this morning (coffee and sleep deprivation, combined with a 3AM departure time), I uncharacteristically turned the key at -8F, without the courtesy of even a moment of glow plug preheat. The truck turned over very laboriously - reminding me of my error.

I then cycled the key, let the glows do their thing, and started the truck normally.

THAT is what I believe reset my hour meter - I would imagine the initial cold crank cause a major voltage fluctuation.

rapidoxidationman
02-04-2011, 08:56
My new-to-me truck's hour meter has about 700 hours on the clock

Newer batteries

and 127,000 miles.

Maybe the previous owner tended to drive 190mph?

I'm thinking voltage fluctuation, but why that info isn't stored in flash memory or something similar like the odometer escapes me...

JohnC
02-05-2011, 19:18
Mine was reset once when the dealer did a reflash.

rapidoxidationman
02-28-2011, 20:33
Mine just reset to zero again after clearing a stored code (B solenoid wasn't letting the transmission shift out of 3rd; clearing the code fixed the problem).

CoyleJR
03-01-2011, 10:29
Mine reset when I pulled both batteries out to replace them. If you do a DP search on the subject you will find that it is a common issue.