PDA

View Full Version : Can't find a new tank pickup

ees
09-03-2004, 02:58
I need help. I am desparately trying to get this truck I bought 4 months ago on the road. Chasing down a fuel leak and smell from under the truck led me to the tank. It was rusted pretty bad. I found another one locally for a pretty good price. The problem is there is no pickup on the nut tank. My pickup is about to fall apart from rust.

I have called about a half dozen junk yards and have had no luck. I am told it is not a part listed on the interchange system. Some have refused to even look. To a man every one has tried to sell me the fuel pump because they are sure they are one and the same.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to find one in good condition? The dealer gets $304 list for it. I have a discount, but it is stil painfull. I only paid $65 for the tank it would be sad to pay so much more for the pickup.

Thanks in advance for any hints.

DieselDavy
09-03-2004, 04:10
Eric,
What is wrong with transferring the pickup assembly from the old tank and putting it in the new tank? They should transfer right over. Unless the pickup tube has also rusted, the original one should work.
Dave

ees
09-03-2004, 04:29
The old pickup would disintigrate if I sneezed on it. It is horribly rusted.

curmudge1
09-03-2004, 12:06
Yup, the pickup assembly is pricey... cost me about $260 for one. I listed that part number and fuel line part numbers ... search for "fuel lines" . You might try the pickup part number at gmpartsdirect.com, they might save you a couple of bucks if you're not in a hurry. Sorry I can'g help more...

whatnot
09-03-2004, 13:55
If you want a used one, try calling the jusk yards and asking for the tank. Then if they have it, have them check to see if the sending unit is still in it.

hump
09-04-2004, 03:56
Mine was rusted and leaking, $500 canadian new and wait 2 weeks. So I bought new steel brake line (2 different diameters, cant recall which)and cut and bent to match original. Cleaned up the assembly and took it apart. Soldered new lines in the old cap. Nothing was rusted on the inside of the tank, so I measured and cut the pickup tube and joined it to the new tube with a compression fitting. used new rubber lines to join into the pickup and return lines along frame rail, secured everything with hose clamps.

That was 3 months ago and no problems since.

tom.mcinerney
09-04-2004, 18:33
Hump--Nice Job.

EES--The yards which told you the pickup was integral with fuel pump were thinking a normal, EFI gasoline job. On ours the gage-sender, return line, and screen/sock are integral in tank ; LP on frame rail (thank god).

The dealers have a lot of lattitude on parts pricing. I believe there is no aftermarket source for the pickup. Do yourself a favor , read this post by 16Ga:
http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=003499

My pickup tubes and tank, and steel fuel lines and steel brake lines along frame rail were all rusted. There are (is) a ground wire associated with fill tube , bolted to frame, if i recall.

If you renew the pickup assembly the fuel gage sender may be more accurate.

ees
09-05-2004, 10:32
Well I have looked at alldata a few times as several people have recommended it. I was not impressed with the demo offerings, but I just tried it anyway.

I guess I have been spoiled with the information I have available to be with VW/Audi software offerings. I don't want to sound ungrateful for the suggestions, but I just requested a refund from alldata.

As you point out most people think the fuel pump is located in the tank which is not correct. Well alldata seems to think it is also. I was unable to find any diagrams, part numbers, or any information other than labor hours about the fuel system.

The dealer may use Alldata as a reference, but I have been behind the counter while they are looking up information on my truck and they have far more diagrams and information than alldata offers.

Since Helm finally has more copies of my manual I ordered them early last week. Should have that this week.

As for the matter at hand I have a print out from car-parts.com of about 30 junk yards that have diesel tanks listed for sale. I am just going to go down the list on Tuesday and see if any have the sender/pickup.

Thanks