PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Rebuild

'04DuramaxLLY
01-20-2011, 10:17
Hello, im just wondering is it more cost effective to buy a whole new transmission and put it in or would buying a kit be worth it? and how exactly does the kit work do you gut the transmission and replace the parts with the new ones? and what would the downtime be on a rebuild? sorry if it seems like im asking alot of questions i just want to know weather or not to buy a new transmission or a rebuild kit.:confused:

Kennedy
01-21-2011, 10:56
Simple, blunt, and to the point. If you have to ask this then a rebuild kit is not for you. While they are relatively simple and CAN be a DIY project, I suspect that you will end up needing a lot of guidance and Tech Support. I've done a couple of kits and many built trans (Suncoast) swaps but I try to shy away from the kits. It just makes for too long a project, a bloody mess of fluid everywhere etc. The Suncoast trans has a warranty and if anything goes wrong there's really only one to blame.

Again, many have done the kits with success and many have had major issues. From what I see, most of the guys "in the know" are getting burned out on the hand holding required to walk a novice through the job and rightly so. Even if the kit was sold by the Tech there still isn't enough margin to justify the repeated calls.

Just my $.02

More Power
01-23-2011, 16:07
Careful shoppers can usually locate a good low mileage Allison for not that much more than it would cost to rebuild one from a reputable trans shop.

Jim

rapidoxidationman
01-23-2011, 19:00
Seems like when it is time to rebuild a transmission that's the time to do some easy upgrades, whatever they may be.

Not a job for a B or C mechanic or somebody without all the tools, knowledge to use them, and a CLEAN shop...

'04DuramaxLLY
01-25-2011, 09:58
thanks guys for the information you have given me. thinking in the long run new tranny would be best idea cuz i do wanna push the horse to her and make it a fun truck

la350
01-25-2011, 12:19
I looked at doing my own rebuild on my '01, then decided against it and had a Stage III kit put in by Inglewood Transmissions in SoCal. I don't ever have to worry about the tranny as long as I keep it under 500hp or so. Doing the rebuild looked doable but I couldn't stand the thought of doing something wrong and then having to do it all over again.