PDA

View Full Version : Dumb move on my part.....4x4 on pavement

hogbody
01-06-2011, 08:40
After a long travel day of trailer pulling I had to back into a gravel spot for the night. I put the truck in 4wd high to get in. Next morning I got up and drove about 70 miles and when stopping for fuel I noticed my 4wd light on. I drove the 70 miles at about 65 mph. on dry pavement. Other them some wear on the right front tire that is not now equal to the left front what other damage or concerns have I created?

The truck is a 2003 2500 Duramax/Allison with about 85,000 miles. I have tested the 4 wd on gravel and get no clunking sounds and everthing seems to shift in and out ok.

Thanks, Larry

Mark Rinker
01-06-2011, 08:45
Relax.

Up here in snow country, I hit the 4WD button around deer hunting in November, and rarely see 2HI until spring.

Tens of thousands of miles in 4HI between all trucks. Lots of time on dry pavement, in a straight line. (When it starts to buck around corners, that is usually a reminder for me to hit 2HI again.) ;)

Now would be a good time to check transfer case and front diff fluid levels, changing if they are overdue or dark in color.
As for the tire wear - I'd investigate your alignment, condition of tie rods, wheel bearings, etc. and rotate tires front to rear. I doubt it has anything at all to do with your 4HI experience.

crashz
01-06-2011, 15:18
You very effectively did your "monthly" run in of the 4 wheel drive system. Everything should be good and lubed for another month!

87max
01-06-2011, 16:34
sounds like a successful run to me! good to get the lube splashed around now and then, lack of use is much worse in my experience.

hogbody
01-07-2011, 07:37
My mind is at ease. The tires have all worn evenly till this point. I will rotate and monitor the wear to see if I need suspension work.

Thanks again