PDA

View Full Version : 96 6.5

snwmn584
12-27-2010, 15:56
Alright guys, I'm new to this thing. I did some searching and found some good information, but i have a few more.

Here is the truck i am looking at. It is a 1996 Chevy Silverado 1500 6.5.
View Inventory (http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/inview/detail.jsp?dealer_id=65817969&dealership_view_name=avenuemotors&ct=u&car_id=290109217)

Well i went and looked at it today after work and noticed a few things. They told me that they had the truck plugged in for 30 minutes before i had gotten there. Well the truck wouldn't start. I let the glow plugs do there job and tried a few different times and still nothing. While cranking i looked into the mirror and noticed it was blowing black smoke. The guy told me that it usually starts when being plugged in for 10 minutes, but i have a feeling the truck has been sitting there for a while.

The other thing i noticed was oil leaking somewhere in the front of the engine. Not sure if it was the front main seal or what.

And the crossover pipe had been fixed, and i noticed some of that muffler epoxy...

Other than that the truck was clean, no rust, good tires, clean interior.

They are asking 6188. 194000 miles.

What do you guys think? Any other help would be greatly appreciated.

AllThumbs
12-27-2010, 16:21
The miles aren't bad, there should be a lot more there if the whole thing is in good shape. I was unaware that the 6.5 came in the 1500 series. Probably shows what I know.

If it was plugged in for 30 minutes, depending on the weather, it should have started. Mine started grudgingly this morning WITHOUT being plugged and the temp was 3 F. Black smoke, I think is too much fuel and there should be plenty of folks here that have suggestions on that.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
12-27-2010, 16:38
Check air filter. filter could be bad, might have collapsed.

how fast did it crank over at?

and yes, the 6.5 came in 1500's, right down to five bolt 2wd models. ;)

6.5 Detroit Diesel
12-27-2010, 16:39
where do you live?

location can change prices quite a bit, but where i am, we seem to have higher prices then almost anyone here, and $6200 seems a bit steep for a halfer 6.5 with that many miles.

snwmn584
12-27-2010, 17:25
I am in Southeast Michigan. I was thinking it was a bit high. It didn't seem to crank fast. I know i was giving the batteries a workout and I stopped when they were definetely getting weak. Thats what kinda makes me think that it has been sitting for a while and not started.

rustyk
12-27-2010, 21:55
Chassis/block grounds can be a killer if they're crudded up, but the symptom is usually white "smoke" (actually fuel vapors).

Like 6.5 said, a filthy air filter can cause the rubber hose from the air filter to turbo intake can collapse.

snwmn584
12-28-2010, 15:25
Alright guys, went and drove the truck today after work. He told me yesterday that he was gonna have it inside when i got there, and i actually was pleased when i got there it was still outside plugged in. Well Started right up. The truck ran great purred right along. I didn't know what to expect for power as i have never rode in a 6.5. Well its definetely isn't a duramax.

One thing i noticed was when i let off the gas rpm's would go down and there was a slight clunk. I'm kinda leaning towards maybe a transmission issue?! Almost felt like there was something loose.

Here is another question that i know you guys can answer, what kind of gains can i expect from a crossover, 4" exhaust, intake? Even turning up the boost and a tune?

Thanks for all the help you guys have been!!!:c:

6.5 Detroit Diesel
12-28-2010, 20:47
i don't think anyone has actually posted numbers on here from a dyno.

on my 93, i turned up the pump, (similar to getting a tune), marine injectors, strait piped to 4" stacks, all but wired the wastegate closed, and cut out the air intake.

i put down 193 rwhp and 382 torque on the rollers.

i then added water/methanol which was spraying way to much methanol, but never got it tested. when the pump started spraying you could literally feel a power surge.

if you do everything you listed, you could hope for somewhere around 200-220 i would guess.

6.5TDTahoe
12-28-2010, 22:22
That will be very. noisy Go for 3.5 muffler & pipes from the cat back.You can get a 2.5 in. crossover that be a good thing. Flowmaster & others supply 3 inch down pipe. Also a stock muffler from a Duramax will keep the decible rate to stock. "MorePower" here Dyno tested DuraMax powered trucks & NO GAIN in power over stock with aftermarket exhaust!!!

6.5 Detroit Diesel
12-28-2010, 23:04
That will be very. noisy Go for 3.5 muffler & pipes from the cat back.You can get a 2.5 in. crossover that be a good thing. Flowmaster & others supply 3 inch down pipe. Also a stock muffler from a Duramax will keep the decible rate to stock. "MorePower" here Dyno tested DuraMax powered trucks & NO GAIN in power over stock with aftermarket exhaust!!!

do you want to explain that a little better? i have never heard of any vehicle that didn't not gain in multiple areas, chiefly power, with an aftermarket larger exhaust.

3.5" to 4", there is basically no difference in noise level.

my friend runs a straight piped 3.5" 6.5, when compared to my other buddies with 4" straight piped there is no sound difference, and i would say, no power difference

there isn't much point in putting a larger free flowing exhaust on if you are searching for more power, and then choking it off with a stock muffler.

my 6.5's with no mufflers are still quieter then a lot of modded cummins with mufflers.

when i first did my exhaust, i got a cherry bomb style muffler. 4" ends and it swelled to 5" in the middle. it did sound nice in that the diesel sounded slightly refined.

JohnC
12-29-2010, 15:03
My unqualified opinion is the price is way to high.

The 1500 has the "S" engine with EGR.

If it won't start at 0 degrees without being plugged in (It won't be pretty, but it should start) then something is not right.

AllThumbs
12-30-2010, 03:51
My 3" downpipe then 4" with straight muffler gave a nice mellow sound and a definite kick in the pants. No dyno data but you could tell it was there. I used the stock crossover that was there. Much too difficult to change in my case and did not appear really worth it.

handcannon
12-31-2010, 22:08
One thing i noticed was when i let off the gas rpm's would go down and there was a slight clunk. I'm kinda leaning towards maybe a transmission issue?! Almost felt like there was something loose.

Here is another question that i know you guys can answer, what kind of gains can i expect from a crossover, 4" exhaust, intake? Even turning up the boost and a tune?

Thanks for all the help you guys have been!!!:c:

Check the harmonic balancer/pulley. The rubber insert between the inner and outer parts can wear out and allow the pulley to slop back and forth.

I put on a 4" Diamond Eye system. I felt a difference, not huge, but a definite difference. The biggest thing for me is the sound. When at WOT, and especially towing, the volume is such that the trim around the rear seat and window vibrate it's that loud. The rest of the time I have no problem with the sound.

Don

Ms54Coupe
01-01-2011, 09:02
My unqualified opinion is the price is way to high.

The 1500 has the "S" engine with EGR.

If it won't start at 0 degrees without being plugged in (It won't be pretty, but it should start) then something is not right.

I agree X2