PDA

View Full Version : Service engine light on

j7l2
12-27-2010, 15:02
2006 GMC crew cab, short bed, 2500HD, 4Wd, Allison trans. Bought new. 43500 miles. Started normal today, let it warm up while I cleaned snow off truck. Then shut it off. Came back out 2 hours later to start it. Glow plug light stayed on until I started it( normally after warming it up glow light would not have even came on). Then I see tht the engine light is staying on. Before I go to the Dealer tomorrow any ideas?

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,
JimO

DmaxMaverick
12-27-2010, 22:47
No clue, without knowing the code(s). Probably something simple, like a glow plug that's failed, or a temperature variation discrepancy (not too unusual).

Kennedy
12-28-2010, 07:20
Like Mav said diagnosing a computer controlled truck begins with scanning for DTC's. Without these it's like trying to figure out why a baby is crying. Well actually like many different babies are crying at the same time since they only have a handful of reasons in general. Check out the link below for more

http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/quicklynks.htm

http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/quicklynks01c.jpg

j7l2
12-28-2010, 14:41
Thanks for the replies. I am going to look into getting one of those code readers that John posted a link to.

Regards,
JimO

Kennedy
12-28-2010, 14:53
In the mean time Auto Zone will read the codes for nothing.

JohnC
12-28-2010, 19:50
There was (is) a recall to reprogram the glow plug controller on 2006's. Problem, IIRC, was that they would stay on too long and burn out. Engine damage could occur...

j7l2
12-29-2010, 11:18
Yes, I had the recall done the first week that I owned the truck. So that should be okay.

Thank you for your comments.

Regards,
JimO

j7l2
01-01-2011, 11:46
I received my code reader and checked for codes today. It has code #P0675, Cylinder 5 glow plug open. Does this mean I can just replace cylinder 5 glow plug? Or is there an underlying problem that caused this?

Regards,
JimO

DmaxMaverick
01-01-2011, 13:51
Check the harness and connectors. If the harness looks good and is properly connected, check the #5 GP (3rd from the front, on the passenger side) continuity. If it is, in fact, open, replace it and you should be good to go. If it checks good, check all the other plugs (if the code indicated the wrong cylinder, it wouldn't be the first time). Use some silver anti-seize on the threads (prevents seizing if/when later removal is needed). Glow plugs are "wear items", and fail from time to time without any help. Nothing to be concerned about, unless you have a series of unexplained failures.

j7l2
01-01-2011, 15:08
Okay, glad to hear that it probably is just a glow plug. I will check it out and replace.

Thank you for the quick reply.

Regards,
JimO

Kennedy
01-01-2011, 19:58
Yep, just change the one plug. I use dielectric grease on the threads and the terminals. Can't stand never seize. The dielectric will last longer.