PDA

View Full Version : Running Lights Won't Shut Off

TTM
12-26-2010, 23:24
Wiring....guys I need some help here. What I have is problem with my running lights and tail lights. For the last year or so I have been hearing a kinda a shorting sound in the headlight switch when I turn on the park lights; and to date nothing has gone wrong. Till X-mas day; I went to shut the truck down and park lights stayed on (front and back) and the buzzer was on as well (with the key removed). No fuses blown nothing....no previous wiring issues; nothing.....So I thought the switch was messed and finally went. Got a headlight/park light switch a put it in hooked the batteries back up, tested the switch....headlights on-off good, park lights on-off good and after shutting down(with the key removed) no buzzer and no lights on fuses okay....YES! got the problem....NOT!!! I was cleaning up and about a half hour later I went out of the shop to the house and saw the park lights were on and the buzzer was on in the cab!!!!! I disconnected the headlight switch along with the dimmer switch hooked up the batteries and the park lights come on ....why??? Why do the lights come on with the switch not hooked up? I'm kinda lost here....I checked the wires to the trailer hitch, wires to the lights, the switch wires, ground wires to the lights......Any thoughts?

87max
12-27-2010, 18:11
I would start with checking all the grounds & hot off the battery & motor. Bad grounds do odd things, after that it sounds like a broken wire hot short to ground. Get it so it is malfunctioning and start pulling fuses. Once lights go out you know what loop its in, if they don't go out then it's a hot wire (key off) shorting to ground. If nothing is on when its doing it as it sounds then most likely a hot wire short. Especially with nasty sound you heard, I had a dog almost set my truck ablaze when he layed down and caught an aux switch under my dash. Came out of restaurant smoke filled cab, poor guy!

TTM
12-28-2010, 22:41
Thanks for getting back to me 87 max, well you were right a hot wire short. What I did was with the batteries (hooked up) I pulled the 15 amp in-line camper fuse and the lights went out...good...I got it. So I just followed up the camper wires to the end and sure as sugar there was two wires rubbing on the frame shorting together. I seperated them and problems solved. I have never used the camper wires for a very long time so it was bound to happen. SO! note to self as part of the regular maintaince ( oil change) check the camper wires as well as the trailer wires. Again thanks for the direction......

87max
01-04-2011, 18:07
Good deal, glad it didn't turn into a big project for you!

EdSpaek
01-17-2011, 05:25
Guys

We have a small fleet of 30, 2008 and 2009 2500 HD's and have been experiencing an issue with dead batteries and found the following recently after giving the truck to a dealer in Texas

Hope this helps a few of you (If you have a trailer wiring package which seems to be common to all) this is a copy of the techs report

We have been told in short terms it is a remote sensor for the door locks that fails that is the root cause???

W OF .035AMPS. VERIFIED EXCESSIVE AMP DRAW. COMMIN
G FROM THE LBEC 60AMP FUSE. THIS FUSE OPERATES SEV
ERAL COMPONENTS. TESED CIRCUIT BY ELEMINATING EACH
COMPONENT 1 AT A TIME TILL THE RCDLR CAUSE HIGH A
MPERAGE TO DROP. FOUND IT TO BE A INTERNAL SHORT.
NEED TO REPLACE THE RCDLR.
RETESTED AFTER REPAIRS AND PARASETIC DRAW IS AT
.003AMPS. WELL WITHIN SPECS.
Work performed by Roy Call(372)
Installed 20803736 :RECEIVER (10485-BPCKT) 1@92.38
REPLACED RCDLR. PROGRAMMED AND LEARNED TIRE PRESSU
RES.
Sub Total: Labor: 323.00 Parts: 92.38 Total: 415.38

87max
01-17-2011, 15:56
Interesting read, thanks for sharing!