PDA

View Full Version : old ford gas to deisel

orfordguy
12-20-2010, 23:22
i have a 78 supercab ford 4X4, i had a 470ci 460 in it wtih a new np435/np205 setup. its lifted 4", runs dana 44 front and dana 60 rear with 3.73 gears and 35" bfgs...the 460 was sold to a freind at a dumb price....had to have it i guess... have a line on a pair of 6.9liter iti deisels one running with an ats turbo kit and one was running needs injector pump...please remimber this is my trailer puller not a drag truck and I wanna keep the cost down.. here is my game plan:
clean paint install motor wire plumb...
4" intercooler tubing on 96 cummings intercooler
heavy service clutch assem
4" turbo down pipe to 5" exhaust w/out cat, with single flow through muffler and large tip..
open air intake element
manual glow plug system
turned up injector pump
static timing adjustment

also considering a dually conversion and smaller 33" tires
pointers????

not familier with deisals so i need any help you can provide would be great...
things like
fuel line mods
motor mounts/fitment
trans fitment
part recommendations
wiring issues/tips
axle gearing
anything else relevent

NH2112
01-03-2011, 18:50
First and foremost, you'll need either a transmission or bellhousing from a diesel, because the bolt patterns are different than gassers.

I don't know if you'll be able to fit a diesel radiator in the '78 core support (doubt it) but the 460 radiator may be big enough. You'll probably have to use universal radiator hose like the corrugated stuff NAPA sells.

Wiring should be pretty simple, you can use the + coil wire to power the fuel solenoid, and using the senders from the 460 will give you accurate gauge readings. The alternator and voltage regulator wiring shouldn't have to be changed at all.

Engine mounts are an area I'm not familiar with, the best thing to do IMO would either be to bolt everything up and get the engine where you want it (by checking front & rear driveshaft angles at the transfer case and axles) then weld in the mounts, or try to apply the measurements from a later model diesel truck to yours.

You'll need a return line fitting on your fuel sender, but you should be able to do this by simply drilling a hole in the sender(s) and either brazing or epoxying in a tube. There's a tee at the rear of the engine where the return lines from the #7 and #8 cylinders meet, and a single line goes from here to the return fitting on the sender (or tank selector switch.) The fuel pump is on the passenger front of the engine so it shouldn't be too hard to hook up the truck plumbing to the engine.

If it's not a drag truck I don't think you'll need to do anything with the gearing. IMO a super low granny gear like the NP435 has isn't necessary with the diesel because of the torque it makes, but you probably won't be driving it any different than you did with the 460. I have a ZF 5-speed in my F350 and almost never use 1st gear - and the diesel version is a tall 4.14:1. Even with about 800lb of sandbags in the bed 2nd gear (2.37:1) is easy to take off with. I wish mine had the low reverse that yours does, though - my reverse is 3.79:1. The 6.9 should have the same redline as my 7.3l (3800 IIRC) so you should be able to do the same speed as with your 460. My rpm @ 70 is right around 2400 in 5th gear, given your tire size you probably won't be that far off even with slightly lower gearing and no overdrive.

As far as parts, try to stick with OEM as much as possible. If you buy NAPA electrical stuff you'll be forever replacing stuff. The one exception I'd make is with their new starters. Alternators & starters should come from Ford or a rebuilder you trust. Engine parts should come from Ford or Navistar. Use only Ford/Navistar (Beru ZD9) or Wellman (G088) glow plugs - avoid Autolites and every other brand like the plague. NAPA is a good source for chassis & driveline parts.

NH2112
01-04-2011, 06:43
First and foremost, you'll need either a transmission or bellhousing from a diesel, because the bolt patterns are different than gassers.

I don't know if you'll be able to fit a diesel radiator in the '78 core support (doubt it) but the 460 radiator may be big enough. You'll probably have to use universal radiator hose like the corrugated stuff NAPA sells.

Wiring should be pretty simple, you can use the + coil wire to power the fuel solenoid, and using the senders from the 460 will give you accurate gauge readings. The alternator and voltage regulator wiring shouldn't have to be changed at all.

Engine mounts are an area I'm not familiar with, the best thing to do IMO would either be to bolt everything up and get the engine where you want it (by checking front & rear driveshaft angles at the transfer case and axles) then weld in the mounts, or try to apply the measurements from a later model diesel truck to yours.

You'll need a return line fitting on your fuel sender, but you should be able to do this by simply drilling a hole in the sender(s) and either brazing or epoxying in a tube. There's a tee at the rear of the engine where the return lines from the #7 and #8 cylinders meet, and a single line goes from here to the return fitting on the sender (or tank selector switch.) The fuel pump is on the passenger front of the engine so it shouldn't be too hard to hook up the truck plumbing to the engine.

If it's not a drag truck I don't think you'll need to do anything with the gearing. IMO a super low granny gear like the NP435 has isn't necessary with the diesel because of the torque it makes, but you probably won't be driving it any different than you did with the 460. I have a ZF 5-speed in my F350 and almost never use 1st gear - and the diesel version is a tall 4.14:1. Even with about 800lb of sandbags in the bed 2nd gear (2.37:1) is easy to take off with. I wish mine had the low reverse that yours does, though - my reverse is 3.79:1. The 6.9 should have the same redline as my 7.3l (3800 IIRC) so you should be able to do the same speed as with your 460. My rpm @ 70 is right around 2400 in 5th gear, given your tire size you probably won't be that far off even with slightly lower gearing and no overdrive.

As far as parts, try to stick with OEM as much as possible. If you buy NAPA electrical stuff you'll be forever replacing stuff. The one exception I'd make is with their new starters. Alternators & starters should come from Ford or a rebuilder you trust. Engine parts should come from Ford or Navistar. Use only Ford/Navistar (Beru ZD9) or Wellman (G088) glow plugs - avoid Autolites and every other brand like the plague. NAPA is a good source for chassis & driveline parts.

ETA Something to think about before the engine goes in is getting rid of the OEM canister-style oil cooler that sits alongside the drover's side of the block. If (when) it starts leaking, it's a real PITA to take care of. I'd think about either finding 2 plugs in the oil gallery and running hoses from those to an add-on cooler, or drawing the oil from a sandwich-type adapter between the filter boss and filter.