PDA

View Full Version : Buying a stagnant '94

Subzilla
12-17-2010, 11:42
Got a line on a '94 6.5 truck at a car (http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=402641#) dealer with the classic PMD failure symptoms as the dealer described them to me. The truck is in extremely good shape exterior and interior wise but the engine will not start now. He's saying it needs a complete IP per his diesel mechanics as that's the only to get the "electronics". We know the electonics ARE separate.

My question lies in the fact that it has been sitting for a year or more without starting. I'm a little aprehensive about other things going bad but I'm not afraid to replace the PMD and repair (http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=402641#) anything else. Any thoughts? I'm guessing IF I buy, I would need to address the old diesel fuel but what else could go bad? Thanks!

JohnC
12-17-2010, 20:08
This guy is going through the same thing right now (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=38331)

Robyn
12-17-2010, 20:39
I would not sweat the small crap.

Pump the fuel tank out via the inlet line of the lift pump using a separate electric pump and just run it with some jumper cables.

When the tank is empty, fill with fresh fuel, change the filter and prime the system as usual.

Replace the bad PMD and your set to go.

While your at it, drop the oil and filter before your even try to start it.

Should be an easy fix.

Missy

Subzilla
12-18-2010, 11:54
Saw it yesterday. Tried to fire it up but wouldn't catch. Interior is in good shape, exterior has some peeling clear coat and lots of scratches. He says the trans was replaced by PO. All systems work according to used car dealer :rolleyes: The odometer seems to have malfunctioned as it is reading over 300k but the numbers are in all sorts of positions - halfway between numbers. Carfax showed 120k miles 10 years ago. Still for the price it's not bad. They want $2500.

Sleeping on it. :confused:

Robyn
12-18-2010, 15:28
Sounds like an adventure for sure :D

Missy

trbankii
12-18-2010, 15:51
Hmmm... For a 16 year old vehicle that isn't running, $2500 sounds a bit high for me even if the rest of it was immaculate. Since you cannot test drive it, you never know what else you will run into once the engine is running again. I'm guessing you looked at the KBB value on it as a starting point?

The negatives for me: non-running, sat for a year (or more), odometer is funky, and that the transmission was replaced. On the other hand, it could be an easy fix and nothing else is wrong with it. I'd try haggling him down a bit more.

ToddMeister
12-18-2010, 16:44
2500 is too much, heck that's what I paid a dealer for my 95 GMC 7 years ago with a broken push rod. It ran, but poorly.

phantom309
12-18-2010, 18:30
whats with everyone thinking the fuel is no good??
i,ve had iron sit for longer, still fired up,. burnt the old fuel,.changed a filter or two,. carry on as usual,.

nick

Subzilla
12-20-2010, 06:59
Slept on it - just too many red flags coming up mostly centered around the odometer. Did some web searching about misaligned odometer numbers - this usually indicates tampering! Everytime I questioned the dealer about the mileage, he would always beat around the bush, then change the subject, especially when I mentioned that Carfax showed 120k miles 10 years ago. He originally told me it had 130k miles and that the odometer was rolling over 10 miles at a time therefore adding up the miles?? :eek: His mechanic told me separately he thought it had 200k miles.

Not saying that the dealer tampered with the odometer or not but I'm just wish I could get an honest, direct answer to the mileage question from him. I'm just not getting a good feeling in the innerds about this one. Maybe I'll call him back to see if could come cheaper although he's telling me he has $6500 in it :p

Thanks for the help!