PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Case in 99 Suburban

1629dill
12-16-2010, 21:01
Just had to have the suburban towed to the transmission shop. It just stopped moving in the middle of the intersection. The shop looked at it and said that the transfer case is shot. It sounds like it could get expansive.

I have no idea what happened to it but am wandering if there could be some other problem in the drive train to blow the transfer case apart.

aquaman0001
12-17-2010, 06:48
Mine leaked so bad going down the interstate that it was making my back windshield wet. Look for one at the junk yard.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
12-17-2010, 11:51
as far as i know, that should be a variant of the 241c transfer case. low oil, unchanged oil, or just regular wear and tear can make them go out.

definitely look in yards. when i needed one, most places were looking to charge me $1000+ for one. picked up a used one with a six month warranty for $400.

pick and pull will sell them for around $100 up here, if you can find them.

N9Phil
12-18-2010, 01:15
My 99 454 Suburban transfer case went and my transmission guy said that they had a problem where when the chain stretches it rubs a hole in the case. He go me a rebuilt that has somekind of plastic insert so the chain can't ride on the case. If you get a rebuilt make sure it has the rework or you will be replacing it again down the road.

Dimsdale
12-19-2010, 15:29
There is an issue with the transfer case pump wearing through the rear half of the case, leading to catastrophic oil loss. Do a search for transfer case pump upgrades and you will find several solutions. The pump rides on the main shaft and the pump body indexes into the rear housing of the transfer case. There is a anti-rattle clip in the case that is used to take up the tolerance between the pump body and the case. The pump body has a tendency to cut through the clip and eventually the rear housing.