PDA

View Full Version : allison problem??

fwdbite
12-14-2010, 07:06
Hi, I have a 2004 3500 dually auto. Truck sat for about a week. Now when I drive it the tranny seems like it won't kick down when I'm going up a hill or just trying to get in the gas. It seems to shift up thru fine if I baby it. If I hit the gas to down shift it just seems to fight its self like it won't go into gear. Any ideas on where to start? Thanks

rapidoxidationman
12-14-2010, 14:11
Fluid level would be the first obvious thing to check.

When's the last time you changed the external filter and drained/refilled the pan?

Sure the linkage is adjusted properly? I'm asking cuz I need to adjust mine: shifting from 3 to D with the shifter doesn't work quite like it should. It'll do it, but it doesn't feel exactly right.

fwdbite
12-14-2010, 15:13
Thanks for the reply, Just changed filter today. didn't seem to help any .Fluid looks and smells good. Didn't drain it. Checked level, it was good. Idk. I'm taking it to local dealer to look at it tomorrow. Hope the tranny,s not on its way out.

rapidoxidationman
12-14-2010, 16:12
It'd be worth draining it via the drain plug at the bottom of the pan (about 7-8 quarts of Dexron 6 synthetic). There's a magnet on the tip of the plug. Here's hoping there's not chunks of stuff clinging to it... A small bit of metallic powder on the magnet is normal.

JohnC
12-14-2010, 16:21
You took the magnet off the old filter, right? ;)

fwdbite
12-14-2010, 16:28
Didn't notice a magnet. Where is it located. I better go look on old filter.

fwdbite
12-14-2010, 16:55
Its not on the old filter. Ill have to check it out when I get truck back. Its at the shop right now. Will it hurt it if its not on and they drive it? ......

cowboywildbill
12-14-2010, 18:01
It's a big round magnet that looks like big flat washer. It just sits on the top of the filter.
You might not have noticed it if it was dirty. And no it won't hurt to drive the truck without it for a little while, but I would put another magnet on the filter before too long.

fwdbite
12-15-2010, 17:58
Well the whole problem was the fuel filter. Wasn't that old either. Would of never guessed that. Ohh well. Seems fine now except I had to pay couple hundred for something I've done for 60 bucks. Thanks for all the replies.

JohnC
12-15-2010, 19:08
Still, you need the magnet. If it's not on the filter you removed, it was probably on the one before that. Either way, you should get one and install it. Keeps the nasty bits from circulating through the trans. Best prices from an Allison service center, not a GM/Chevy dealer.