PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Lines

AllThumbs
12-09-2010, 18:38
As I have previously posted, I broke the vacuum lines starting with the wastegate control in the cold weather while working on my project. When I tried to replace them today, the Chevy dealer parts guy looked at me like I had just stepped in from Mars. He did a print out of that part of the engine and the exploded view of the parts didn't even have a wastegate control or the vacuum lines shown. Needless to say, that was the end for him. He didn't even act like he knew what I was talking about.

I can't be the only one to ever break on of these little straws. How do the rest of you mend these lines and where do you get materials? I managed to cobble mine together but am not comfortable leaving this Rube Goldberg arrangement.

Suggestions?

JohnC
12-09-2010, 19:48
Use regular vacuum tubing from the parts store. The only odd part is the line from the pump to the solenoid(s). It changes diameter from one end to the other.

AllThumbs
12-10-2010, 00:31
I noticed the change in size when I was putting it back together. Surprised me no end and made it difficult to find materials close at hand to at least get it working. Parts store was not particularly helpful either. We have many locally so one will have something useful.

Thanks JohnC

JohnC
12-11-2010, 09:05
There are plastic hose barbs available that allow you to connect hoses of different diameters.

AllThumbs
12-11-2010, 10:39
Thanks as always John, that is probably the ticket combined with whatever the local shops are selling for vacuum material.