PDA

View Full Version : Winter tips

oneton
12-01-2010, 18:08
Ok, going to be staying up north for an extended period of time this winter. Looking for some winterizing service ideas before I head out. Thanks in advance

David

NutNbutGMC
12-01-2010, 19:03
Ok, going to be staying up north for an extended period of time this winter. Looking for some winterizing service ideas before I head out. Thanks in advance

DavidFront cover, Battery Tender, fuel additive and stabilizer, Husky floor liners (snow and salt), and a block heater if you get into extreme low temps. Also a set of Carhartts for each 10 deg F temp range less than 40 deg F, from the chore coat to an insulated parka coat with the middle draw-string (important for warmth) to the coveralls (full zipper legs for easy on / easy off). The bibs are more trouble than they are worth. Don't forget a good hood for facial windchill and a scarf. Best investment you can make in clothing for comfort in the north. Also XM or Sirius radio subscription for long commutes. Find Carhartts anywhere from TN on up north. Farm and Fleet (midwestern store chain) carries them as well. Windshield ice scraper if you do not have access to a parking garage at home or work, and some spray de-icer for the door locks when it freezes when raining. May sound anal but I have been there and done it all.

I may have one last front cover left (from a 2001 and / or a 2002 models that I previously owned). If I do and you are in need, I can ship or you can stop and get it if you're coming through Knoxville. I have been every pig path between Knoxville and Chicago if you have questions about any routes into that neck of the woods. No charge for the cover other than shipping please. I may or may not still have an extra one but I can look upon request.

I spent 13 winters in north central Illinois. If I never see snow again for the rest of my life, it will be too soon. Best of luck.

Where you headed?

I don't check here every single day so an e-mail is OK if you choose to check on the front cover. I think my e-mail is accessible through the forum feature.

oneton
12-01-2010, 19:17
Thanks for the info. I'll be heading to the hills of WV. Made a trip out West a few years back and got caught with my pants down in Des Moines. It was so freakin' cold I thought my oil pump was going to come out the bottom of the truck. It took several trips running back and forth into the hotel room to warm up to get the bra on the grill. LOL

NutNbutGMC
12-01-2010, 19:24
Thanks for the info. I'll be heading to the hills of WV. Made a trip out West a few years back and got caught with my pants down in Des Moines. It was so freakin' cold I thought my oil pump was going to come out the bottom of the truck. It took several trips running back and forth into the hotel room to warm up to get the bra on the grill. LOLI hear you. The truck is sorta' a give-me on the initial prep. The Carhartts are essential for comfort. Wind chill is not so terribe and consistently bad in WV. Just sayin'.

JohnC
12-01-2010, 19:58
WV? I'm not sure that even counts!

I've lived in upstate New York and now New Hampshire. Since I go the Duramax, the only "winterizing" I do besides 50/50 antifreeze is 5W40 Rotella. I'm not even sure where the grill cover is, but it's never been out of it's original bag...

leolkfrm
12-10-2010, 05:14
start using an additive when fueling, some places do not add anti-gel till certain temps, i switched to stanadyne and add it at every fill up